M.A. (British Columbia); Ph.D. (British Columbia)
Lady Eaton College 101.4
(705) 748-1011 x 7169
Modern Vietnamese History, focusing on associational life, civil society, and the public sphere; South Vietnamese society during the Vietnam War; youth organizations and activism.
The Public Sphere in Saigon, 1954-1975 and the Vietnamese Middle Class in South Vietnam
- “Student Activism in Time of War Youth in the Republic of Vietnam, 1960s–1970s,” Journal of Vietnamese Studies (University of California Press) 10, No. 2 (Spring 2015): 43-81.
- “Human Rights in Wartime Vietnam: Unique Perspectives from Duong Thu Huong’s Novel Without a Name,” in Lily Cho and Susan Henders, eds., Human Rights and the Arts: Essays on Global Asia. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2014, pp. 55-69.
- The Reinvention of Distinction: Modernity and the Middle Class in Urban Vietnam. Van Nguyen-Marshall, Lisa B. Welch Drummond and Danièle Bélanger (eds). Springer-Singapore National University Press, 2012.
- “The Associational Life of the Vietnamese Middle Class in Saigon (1950s-1970s),” in The Reinvention of Distinction: Modernity and the Middle Class in Urban Vietnam. Edited by Van Nguyen-Marshall, Lisa Drummond, and Daniele Belanger The Asian Research Institute (National University of Singapore) in cooperation with Springer Publishing, 2012.
- “Tools of Empire? Vietnamese Catholics in South Vietnam,” The Journal of the Canadian Historical Association (New Series) 20, no. 2 (2009): 138-159.
- In Search of Moral Authority: The Discourse on Poverty, Poor Relief, and Charity in French Colonial Vietnam. New York: Peter Lang, 2008.
- “The Ethics of Benevolence in French Colonial Vietnam: A Sino-Franco-Vietnamese Cultural Borderland,” in Diana Lary, ed., The Chinese State at the Borders. Vancouver: The University of British Columbia Press, 2007, 162-180.
- "The Moral Economy of the Colonialist: The Right to Subsistence and Famine Relief in French Indochina" The International History Review, Vol. XXVII, 2 (June 2005), pp 237-258.