B.A. (University of Calgary); M.A., Ph.D. (University of California, Santa Barbara)
Champlain College K4
705-748-1011 x 7097
Early Medieval Europe, High Medieval Europe, Medieval Warfare, Medieval Technology, Women in the Middle Ages
Life cycle in the Anglo-Norman and Angevin realms (High Medieval England and parts of France). My current projects involve the study of fertility, pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding and also childhood and adolescence. In the case of adolescence, I look particularly at the experience of royalty and the high nobility, monks, university students, and apprentices.
Gerald M. McDougall and Fiona C. Harris. Medical Clinics and Physicians of Southern Alberta. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 1991.
Refereed Journal Articles:
- Fiona Harris-Stoertz “Pregnancy and Childbirth in Twelfth- and Thirteenth- Century French and English Law”, The Journal of the History of Sexuality 21.2 (May 2012): 263-281.
- Fiona Harris-Stoertz. “Pregnancy and Childbirth in Chivalric Literature.” Mediaevalia: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Medieval Studies Worldwide 29.1 (2008): 27-36.
- Fiona Harris-Stoertz. “Young Women in France and England, 1050-1300.” Journal of Women’s History 12.4 (Winter 2001): 22-46.
- Fiona Harris-Stoertz. “Relationships between Parents and their Absent Adolescent Offspring in the High Middle Ages” in The Medieval Feminist Newsletter, 24 (Fall 1997): 38-42.
Chapters in Books
- Fiona Harris-Stoertz. “Remembering Birth in Thirteenth- and Fourteenth-Century England,” in Reconsidering Gender, Time, and Memory in Medieval Culture, eds. Elizabeth Cox, Liz Herbert McAvoy, and Roberta Magnani (Cambridge: D.S. Brewer, 2015), 45-59.
- Fiona Harris-Stoertz. “Midwives in the Middle Ages? Birth Attendants 600-1300,” Medicine and the Law in the Middle Ages, eds. Sara M. Butler and Wendy J. Turner (Leiden: Brill, 2014), 58-87.
- Fiona Harris-Stoertz. “Sex and the Medieval Adolescent” in The Premodern Teenager. Edited by Konrad Eisenbichler. Toronto, University of Toronto Press: 2002, 225-243.
- Fiona Harris-Stoertz. “Teaching the Sorceress” in Medieval Women in Film: An Annotated Handlist and Reference Guide, with Essays on Teaching The Sorceress, Medieval Feminist Forum Subsidia, no. 1 (Eugene, Oregon: University of Oregon Press, 2000; 2nd edition 2007), 37-40.
- Fiona Harris-Stoertz. “Adolescence and Authority in Medieval Monasticism” in The Growth of Authority in the Medieval West. Groningen: Egbert Forsten, 1999, 119-140.
- Fiona Harris-Stoertz. "Suffering and Survival in Medieval English Childbirth" in Medieval Family Roles, ed. Cathy Jorgensen Itnyre. New York: Garland Press, 1996, 101-120.
- Fiona Harris-Stoertz, “La figura dell'ostetrica nei testi dell'alto Medioevo,” in Nascere: Il parto dalla tarda antichità all'età moderna, ed. Alessandra Foscati, Costanza Gislon Dopfel, Antonella Parmeggiani (Bologna: il Mulino, 2017), 33-46.