Hard work, dedication, and outstanding contribution to the Trent community – a few of the attributes University employees and retirees were recognized for at the annual Heart of the Trent appreciation event on May 2.
The event featured remarks from President Leo Groarke, followed by the honouring of all 2018 retirees, the presentation of the 2018 Service Awards – recognizing 25, 30, 35-year service milestones – as well as award presentations for four significant awards for employees’ outstanding contributions to the University, including: the Provost’s Award for Support Staff; the Trent Community Leadership Award; the Nancy Simmons Smith Staff Award of Excellence (NESS), and the Team Innovation Award.
The 2017/18 Heart of Trent award recipients are:
- Provost Award for Support Staff awarded to Gina Collins, academic administrative assistant, Physics and Mathematics, in recognition of her role in student engagement and retention, making a difference through her performance at Trent.
- NESS Award of Excellence presented to Amber Ashton, manager of Academic Programs & Campus Operations at Trent University Durham GTA, recognizing a non-academic staff member who demonstrates excellence and a commitment to Trent.
- Trent Community Leadership Award awarded jointly to John Knight, manager of Corporate Research Partnerships, Research Office, and Dr. Tom Whillans, associate professor, Environmental and Resource Studies, in recognition of exceptional contributions to the local community in the Peterborough or Durham regions. The award includes a $250 cash award to donate to a charity or agency of their choice.
- The Team Innovation Award was presented to the Marketing & Communications, Recruitment & Admissions (MCRA) team, honouring innovative contributions that have impacted the strategic objectives of the University.
Service awards were presented to the following faculty and staff:
- 25 years: Holger Hintelmann, Janice Matthews, Pauline Johnston
- 30 years: Bruce Ahlstrand; Michèle Lacombe; Peter Lafleur; Cheryl McKenna-Neuman; Kenneth Field; Susan Robinson; Catherine Gates; Jeff Martindale; Inge Lovell; Trudy Kirschner; Kimberley Rumball; Elizabeth Wilson
- 35 years: James Buttle; Jacqueline Muldoon; Thomas Whillans; Barbara Znamirowski; Mark Dumoulin