Master of Science in Big Data Analytics: Applied Modelling and Quantitative Methods M.Sc.
Delve into the rapidly growing field of data science.
Trent is one of the first universities in Canada to work to fill the training gap for professionals in data science. You will be uniquely prepared with the tools and techniques you require to work with and analyze today’s increasingly complex data sets in all areas of the sciences, as well as the business world. This professional program can be completed in 16 months and emphasizes practical skills in visualization, data mining, cloud-based approaches and parallel programming skills. Prepare for careers including Chief Data Officer, Data Scientist, Data Solutions Architect, Business Manager and Business Analyst.
- Full- or part-time studies
- 16 months full-time to complete
- September intake only
- B.A. or B.Sc. honours degree (a four year undergraduate bachelor's degree) in one of the traditional disciplines: Anthropology, Biology, Business Administration, Chemistry, Computing & Information Systems, Economics, Geography, Humanities, Mathematics, Physics & Astronomy, Philosophy, or Psychology
- Minimum B+ (77%) or equivalent in the work of the last four semesters or the last two undergraduate years (last ten full credits)
- A university course in differential and integral calculus, and one in probability and statistics or the equivalent
- Some familiarity with linear algebra, and be capable of programming at an elementary level in at least one computational language
- A course in either differential equations or advanced statistics is required, depending on whether the student’s area of research will be mathematics or statistics based
- Enrollment is limited; preference will be given to applicants who exceed the above minimum requirements
A GRE test score is not required for admission into this program
Submit one official copy for all post secondary education institutions, including incomplete studies/programs, transfer courses, letter of permission and exchanges. In order to be considered official, transcripts must be received by Trent University in envelopes sealed by the issuing institution, or received from the Ontario Universities' Application Centre. Trent students do not need to order Trent University transcripts. The School of Graduate Studies will obtain your Trent University transcripts for your application free of charge.
Two Letters of Reference
Academic references are preferred; however, professional references will be accepted. Links for your referees to submit an online reference will be sent directly to the referees you have provided on your application. We recommend you contact your referees prior to submitting an application to confirm their availability and contact information. If your referee does not receive the link, you can suggest that your referee check their junk email folder and email setting. The email may have unintentionally been blocked by their email server.
Proof of Citizenship
(ie. copy of passport or birth certificate)
Proof of English Language Proficiency
Proficiency in English usage, both written and oral, is essential to pursue graduate studies at Trent University. It Is required for applicants to demonstrate an adequate level of English proficiency, regardless of their citizenship status or country of origin. Applicants who completed two or more years of post-secondary education at a university in Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and the USA are exempt from this requirement. If you have completed two or more years of post-secondary education at a university where the primary language of instruction is English, the School of Graduate Studies is prepared to consider alternate proof of English language proficiency.
For detailed information about English Language Proficiency requirements, see International Applications.
Applicants must make their own arrangements for taking language tests and having the results sent to the School of Graduate Studies in time to meet application deadlines by contacting the centre in their locale or by writing to one of the above.
Personal Statement template
Typically 1-2 pages, detailing the applicant's interest and experience in the subject area. Please indicate in the subject line of your email: student name and MS.DATA. Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org .