Master of Science in Big Data Analytics: Applied Modelling and Quantitative Methods M.Sc.
Applications are now OPEN for 2020
Delve into the rapidly growing field of data science.
Trent is one of the first universities in Canada to work to fill the training gap for professionals in data science. You will be uniquely prepared with the tools and techniques you require to work with and analyze today’s increasingly complex data sets in all areas of the sciences, as well as the business world. This professional program can be completed in 16 months and emphasizes practical skills in visualization, data mining, cloud-based approaches and parallel programming skills. Prepare for careers including Chief Data Officer, Data Scientist, Data Solutions Architect, Business Manager and Business Analyst.
- Full time studies
- 16 months to complete
- September intake only
- B.A. or B.Sc. honours degree (a four year undergraduate bachelor's degree) in one of the traditional disciplines: Anthropology, Biology, Business Administration, Chemistry, Computing & Information Systems, Economics, Geography, Humanities, Mathematics, Physics & Astronomy, Philosophy, or Psychology
- Minimum B+ (77%) or equivalent in the work of the last four semesters or the last two undergraduate years (last ten full credits)
- A university course in differential and integral calculus, and one in probability and statistics or the equivalent
- Some familiarity with linear algebra, and be capable of programming at an elementary level in at least one computational language
- A course in either differential equations or advanced statistics is required, depending on whether the student’s area of research will be mathematics or statistics based
- Enrollment is limited; preference will be given to applicants who exceed the above minimum requirements
A GRE test score is not required for admission into this program
Post-secondary transcripts and graduation certificates (where applicable) of all previous undergraduate and graduate work are required. This includes transcripts for courses taken on a Letter of Permission, for transfer credit, or on an exchange program. Transcripts must show all course work completed and grades received. If applicable, evidence of degree completion is required.
Please note: Transcripts are not required to be official and final when applying to the School of Graduate Studies. Official transcripts are only required to be submitted if an applicant receives an offer of admission.
Previous or current Trent University students do not need to submit a transcript for degree and course work completed at Trent University. Transcripts must be submitted for any course work completed at another institution – i.e.) study abroad, letter of permission, transfer credit.
Two Letters of Reference
Academic references are preferred; however, professional references will be accepted. Links for your referees to submit an online reference will be sent directly to the referees you have provided on your application. We recommend you contact your referees prior to submitting an application to confirm their availability and contact information. If your referee does not receive the link, you can suggest that your referee check their junk email folder and email setting. The email may have unintentionally been blocked by their email server.
Proof of English Language Proficiency
Proficiency in English usage, both written and oral, is essential to pursue graduate studies at Trent University. It Is required for applicants to demonstrate an adequate level of English proficiency, regardless of their citizenship status or country of origin. Applicants who completed two or more years of post-secondary education at a university in Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and the USA are exempt from this requirement. If you have completed two or more years of post-secondary education at a university where the primary language of instruction is English, the School of Graduate Studies is prepared to consider alternate proof of English language proficiency.
For detailed information about English Language Proficiency requirements, see International Applications.
Personal Statement template
Typically 1-2 pages, detailing the applicant's interest and experience in the subject area.
Detailed Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Proof of Citizenship (ie. copy of passport or birth certificate) will be requested, only if an offer of admission is made.
Program contact information:
For any program specific inquiries or current application status, please contact the program directly: