expand search

School of Graduate Studies

A student and a professor smiling at each other

School of Graduate Studies

Mental Health & Addictions Nursing G.Dip

Applications are now CLOSED for September 2019

Become a Clinical Practice Leader in the specialty of mental health and addiction nursing. 

Build on your experience as a registered nurse, develop expertise in this specialty and in turn, advance nursing practice in your community and beyond. This program will prepare you for specialty practice in the ever-evolving field of mental health and addiction. Designed to complement a full- or part-time career, completion of the program will see you take a step toward advanced practice nursing in the specialty.

Geared to suit your lifestyle, this five-course program of study, offered through the Trent/Fleming School of Nursing, is delivered over five semesters through online coursework and on-site practicum workshops. Each of the four theory courses includes readings, online discussions and assignments, in addition to two eight-hour workshops consisting of various forms of active learning, including role play and simulated practice. The final course offers experiential education in the form of a peer-mentored clinical practicum. If you currently work in a mental health or addiction setting, you will be able to complete your clinical practicum there; or you may decide to learn in a completely new setting.

  • Earn a unique post-baccalaureate level graduate diploma, the first of its kind in the province. Focus on in-depth knowledge, evidence-informed practice and critical inquiry.
  • Prepare yourself for employment in an array of positions in mental health and addiction nursing.

Graduate Diploma in Mental Health and Addiction Nursing website

Program Options

  • Graduate Diploma
  • Part-time studies
  • Course-based program and practicum
  • 28 months part-time to complete (final semester of study is a 150-hour practicum)

​Admission Requirements 

  • Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Bachelor of Nursing, or Bachelor of Nursing Science, from an accredited university, with a GPA of 77%.
  • Registered Nurse (in good standing) in the province of Ontario or active practicing license in any other Canadian province.
  • Registered Nurses without a baccalaureate degree, or with a baccalaureate degree in another discipline, are encouraged to apply for admission and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Required Documents

Official Transcripts

Submit one official copy for all post secondary education institutions, including incomplete studies/programs, transfer courses, letter of permission and exchanges. In order to be considered official, transcripts must be received by Trent University in envelopes sealed by the issuing institution, or received from the Ontario Universities' Application Centre. Trent students do not need to order Trent University transcripts. The School of Graduate Studies will obtain your Trent University transcripts for your application free of charge.

Two Letters of Reference

Academic references are preferred; however, professional references will be accepted. Links for your referees to submit an online reference will be sent directly to the referees you have provided on your application. We recommend you contact your referees prior to submitting an application to confirm their availability and contact information. If your referee does not receive the link, you can suggest that your referee check their junk email folder and email setting.  The email may have unintentionally been blocked by their email server.

Proof of English Language Proficiency

Proficiency in English usage, both written and oral, is essential to pursue graduate studies at Trent University. It Is required for applicants to demonstrate an adequate level of English proficiency, regardless of their citizenship status or country of origin. Applicants who completed two or more years of post-secondary education at a university in Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and the USA are exempt from this requirement. If you have completed two or more years of post-secondary education at a university where the primary language of instruction is English, the School of Graduate Studies is prepared to consider alternate proof of English language proficiency.

For detailed information about English Language Proficiency requirements, see International Applications

Applicants must make their own arrangements for taking language tests and having the results sent to the School of Graduate Studies in time to meet application deadlines by contacting the centre in their locale or by writing to one of the above.

Detailed Resume or Curriculum Vitae

Please indicate in the subject line of your email: student name and GDIP.MHAN. Email to: graduate@trentu.ca .

Additional information: 

Proof of Citizenship (ie. copy of passport or birth certificate) will be requested, only if an offer of admission is made.

Apply Now