The Water Quality Centre is expanding!
We have outgrown our current space and will be expanding into a second lab in March 2015. The original lab will eventually house our ICP-MS's including: a Varian 820, Thermo XSeries, Agilent 8800, Nu Attom, Nu Plasma and Nu 1700. The new lab (located just down the hall) will house the mass spectrometers used for organic compound and isotope ratio (delta C/delta N, 18O/16O) analyses.
We will continue to specialize in method development and the application of new and innovative techniques for measuring isotopes and trace amounts of organic and inorganic contaminants in water and offer analytical services and mass spectrometer training courses to researchers, government agencies and private companies. Our analyses include:
- compound specific isotope analyses
- stable isotopes (eg. C/N, 18O, Mg, Si, Fe, Zn, Hg, U) and radiogenic (eg. Sr, Pb, Nd) isotope ratios
- metal(oid) speciation (eg. Se, As, Cr)
- emerging contaminants (eg. pharmaceuticals, personal care products)
- volatile fatty acids (VFAs)
- total Hg (no sample preparation required for solids)
- transition metal scans
- low concentrations (ppt or ppq) of most metals
Biological material (plants, invertebrates, eggs, feathers), sediments, soils, fly ash, municipal wastewaters, industrial by-products and process waters, also can be analysed
Click here for a complete description of our mass spectrometers.
Research areas at the Centre include:
- cycling of trace metals in lakes and catchments
- source partitioning of mercury input into lakes
- new methods to measure radioactive elements at ambient levels
- the release of pharmaceuticals from waste treatment facilities
- analysis of proteomes
- metal(oid) speciation analysis
- isotope ratio determination
- lake ecosystem nanosliver project (LENS)
- metabolites of ash trees attacked by the Emerald Ash Borer
- binding of ligands to proteins
- identifying and quantifying plant hormones (eg. cytokinins)
In total, researchers at the Water Quality Centre have been successful in winning nine major Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) awards
If you are interested in collaboration, training courses or analytical services, please contact us.