Step-by-Step Process for Hiring Student Staff
Hiring a Trent Student Staff
Step 1. Determine how you will fund the position and apply for funding
You will need to determine how you will fund the position. You can use departmental budget if available, but it is important to be aware of the other options to supplement departmental budget. For example, you can apply to the Trent Work Study Program (TWSP), the Trent International (TI) Job Subsidy Program, or Summer Subsidies.
The most popular funding options are TWSP and TI - each have their own funding application instructions and requirements. Please ensure you carefully review the specific funding application instructions and requirements for each funding option.
Learn more about your funding options »
2. Recruit for your position
Regardless of which funding you select, you will need to recruit applicants for your position. The Office of Student Transitions and Careers hosts the Student and Alumni Job Board which is actively used by the student body and is the most effective way to recruit Trent students for your position.
- TI funding requires you to post your position on the Job Board with inclusion of the line "position is subject to funding approval".
- TWSP funding does not require you to post your position on the Job Board, as there is a separate application form via myTrent. However, we greatly encourage you to use the Job Board to advertise your position. You may include the line "position is subject to funding approval" if you have not yet heard confirmation of your TWSP application.
To post a position on the Student and Alumni Job Board:
a) Login to the Job Board using your Trent log-in or access it through myTrent > Support > Campus Support > Student and Alumni Job Board
b) Select "Student Job Board" from
the left menu
c) Select either "Post a New Job"
or "Repost a Job"
e) Complete the Job Posting Form
f) Submit the Job Posting for Approval
You have the ability to edit live postings,
including dates and deadlines. The Career Centre reviews all jobs before
Check out the detailed instructions for posting on the Trent University Student and Alumni Job Board »
Need help with posting your position? Contact Brittney Blake, the Employer Relations Coordinator at
the Career Centre x6011 or email@example.com.
3. Review applications and interview students
- Students will contact you by the method you have indicated.
- You may require criminal record checks of students if they will be in a
position of trust (i.e. work with valuable items/cash, are given master keys,
work with under-age children, have access to sensitive/personal information).
- You may also request an incident report check from Campus Security to
determine if the student has engaged in any behaviour on campus that may be
contrary to the best interests of the university. Campus Security can only
comment on incidents reported to them and will not provide any third party
Step 4. Hire, arrange payroll, and mandatory training
- Please visit the Trent Human Resources Department's Recruitment website
page, "How to Hire a Student", for information on:
- student employment eligibility
- student pay rates
- hours students are allowed to work
- the necessary forms that need to be completed to arrange for payroll (Student Employment Record)
- mandatory training