expand search

Student Wellness Centre

Pair of chairs in a counselling room

Student Wellness Centre


Q. How can I make an appointment?
A. Either phone (705-748-1386) or stop by the office (Blackburn Hall 113).

Q. How long do I have to wait for an appointment?
A. Usually within 1 week; but up to 2-3 weeks at peak times.

Q. Do you have same day appointments for urgent matters?
A. Yes we have a crisis appointment each afternoon. Emergencies will be directed to the hospital or to call 911. Academic issues are not considered to be a personal crisis that would merit an urgent appointment.

Q. Is there any charge for services?
A. No, all services are provided free of charge to current and active students although we do have a $25 fee for missed appointments.

Q. Is the service confidential?
A. Yes, we are governed by the Personal Health Information Privacy Act. Information shared in counselling, including the fact that you have attended, is confidential. No information will be released to University officials, faculty members, parents or outside agencies without your written consent. However, there are situations when counsellors have an obligation to report information i.e. immediate danger to self or others, complying with a subpoena, or children in need of protection.

Q. How often can I see my therapist?
A. We are geared for brief therapy and most clients access between 3-5 (50 minute) sessions during an academic year. In exceptional instances we will see a student more regularly and for an extended period of time.

Q.  What if I specifically want to see a male or female therapist?
A.  We do have both male and female therapists and can normally accommodate this preference.  Please ask when you make your first appointment.

Q. Do I need a referral to see the Psychiatrist?
A. Yes, a referral is needed from a doctor, one of our therapists or Accessibility Services.

Q. Can I get a note for a professor (ie: academic leniency or an appeal)?
A. Perhaps, however the student must already be a client of the Centre and individual circumstances will be assessed. See our policy "Academic Consideration" at www.trentu.ca/counselling/policies.php

Q. What if I am worried about a friend or family member?
A. Often it is helpful to share worries and we encourage you to make an appointment with a therapist who will listen and offer advice on how to deal with your concerns.

Q.  I attend Trent University Oshawa.  Can I see a counsellor there?
A.  Yes, the office is located in Room 101 at that campus and appointments can be made by phoning 905-435-5100.

Q.  Why do students seek counselling?

A. Students seek counselling for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to: abuse, addiction, adjustment to university life or life in Canada, anger, assertiveness, depression, grief, relationship issues, self-esteem, gender or sexual identity, sleep difficulties, stress and weight preoccupation.


Other useful information:

The Trent University Counselling Centre provides personal counselling services to full and part-time undergraduate and graduate students. The Counselling Centre acknowledges and celebrates the strengths and fragility of the human spirit. We are committed to providing services which respect the dignity and value of all people inclusive of age, gender, ethnicity, physical qualities, sexual identity and ability.