Update Timeline on Parks Canada Canal Work on Trent Severn Waterway
Wednesday, March 7, 2018
Phase 1: January 2018 - April 2018
- Dredging the canal in order to create the depth required to install the concrete structures that will support the installation of the new guard gate.
- A cofferdam on the west bank of the canal (which will hold back any water while the concrete structures are formed and poured) will be required. Drilling for the cofferdam commenced February 23, 2018.
Phase 2: April 2018 - November 2018
- Once the cofferdam is in place the west bank construction of the concrete structure will commence.
- Installation of a permanent bypass to allow water to flow around the guard gate when it is in the closed position during non-navigable seasons.
- Start watermain works in order to install the missing link of the east bank watermain.
- Complete earth dams, on either side of the canal, that will work in conjunction with the guard gates in the event of a future flood event.
Phase 3: November 2018 - March 2019
- East bank concrete structure will be built during the 2018-2019 non-navigable season.