expand search

Study Abroad

An aerial view of buildings in Nantes, France

Study Abroad

Nantes, France: Year Abroad Program

Calendar of Events

If you have any questions along the way, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will gladly answer your questions.


Our study abroad program with the Université de Nantes is open to all, with priority given to French Studies students.

Duration: Two terms (fall and winter)


-Minimum 70% cumulative French average 
FREN 1102H (or 1100Y)

Single-major Honours students

Single-major Honours students planning to participate in the Nantes Program in their third year should take in their second year:
FREN 2051H, 2452H, 2151H and 2152H

Joint-major Honours students

Joint-major Honours students planning to participate in the Nantes Program in their third year should take in their second year:
FREN 2051H, and 2452H
FREN 2151H and 2152H can be taken in France in their third year

Students should meet with an academic advisor or the Nantes program coordinator early in their second year to ensure that program requirements are being met.

Application proccess 

Trent Application for the Nantes Program is due Monday January 13, 2017.

  • The application is available on-line through the “MyTrent” Portal
  • Under the Academics Tab
  • Click on the Study Abroad Folder on the left column
  • Click on the Nantes File
  • How to write a letter of motivation


  • Trent University full-time tuition (minus the ancillary fees) paid to Trent
  •  $1,200.00 Program fee* due once application to Nantes is completed, around April
  • $200.00 Administration fee* due once accepted to the program, around January

Charges for the Program fee and Application fee will be applied directly to the student's Trent account.
*Note: Once students are accepted into the program the Program and Administration fees are non-refundable.
It is also recommended that students consider the following when budgeting for their year abroad:

  •  Airfare (Using the pre-designated travel company may be more expensive. Students may opt to buy their own tickets)
  •  Living expenses (e.g., health insurance, residence [approx 255 €/month], groceries, transit, cell phone, etc.)
  • Pre-departure expenses (e.g., passport, birth Certificate, 10 (3.5cmx4.5cm) passport-size photos, and visa)
  • Arrival expenses (e.g., Sécurité Sociale, carte de séjour, Residence damage deposit, etc.)
  • Additional expenses (e.g., books, travel, shopping, dining out, health insurance, etc.)
  • An Estimated Budget (PDF) has been created for reference purposes. This is based on the 2016-2017 academic year.


Students going to Nantes are responsible to pay their normal tuition fees to Trent. This allows you to still be eligible for OSAP grants and loans, or for Trent University academic scholarships, you will remain eligible as long as you meet the requirements of OSAP and your academic scholarships.
Financial Aid

Students going to Nantes are eligible to apply for the Trent Study Abroad Bursary Program.

Applications are due July 15th, 2017 and are located on-line through your “MyTrent”

  • Under the Academics Tab
  • Click on the Study Abroad Folder on the left column
  • Click on the Nantes File


Students are required to take five, year-long French courses. The five courses and their course codes are listed below. Students are strongly advised to do so. Grades are posted on your Trent Academic Summary in June or July following your return.
Required courses
Students are automatically enrolled in the five following credits in July for the Fall and Winter term, respectively. 

No action must be taken from the student.

  • French 3051H: Stylistique comparée 0.5
  • French 3052H: Traduction Anglais-Français 0.5
  • French 3200Y: Littérature française au 20e Siècle 1.0
  • French 3305Y: La pensée française 1.0
  • French 3505Y: La civilisation française 1.0

There are two options open to students for the fifth course:

1. In Nantes: Students will be offered a variety of courses outside of the Trent-Waterloo program, within the IRFFLE faculty, with other students at their language level (B2/C1). The offered courses are typically made available by the Nantes coordinator during the first or second week of classes. Please inform Kate Logan in the Trent Study Program by the end of the 3rd week of classes if you are taking a course offered by Nantes (include the course title and description). Nantes courses will be credited as:

- French 3900Y: Reading Course 1.0

2. Online Trent University courses: Students can take online courses offered by Trent University. Students enroll themselves in the course of their choice through My Trent Portal. 


Students generally live in the on-campus student residences (Cité la Bourgeonnière or Cité Launay-Violette). Students will apply for residence during the Nantes registration process and are then informed of their room assignment in their acceptance letters from Nantes. The acceptance letters are typically received in late June or early July.

The rooms are approximately 100 sq. ft. and are furnished with a bed, desk, closet/dresser, and mini fridge. Each room has a private bathroom. Each residence is equipped with a shared kitchen on every floor or every other floor.

Costs (approximate values based on 2016-2017 academic year)

  • Rent: 255 € (monthly)
  • Security deposit: 280 € (one-time payment, will be refunded if there are no problems)
  • Housing insurance: approx.. 100 € (one-time payment)

Tip! Students are able to subsidize their monthly rent through a housing aid called la Caisse d'Allocations Familiales (CAF). This aid is calculated according to your income and students can apply for this aid once they are in Nantes. 

Pre-departure tasks 

  • Mandatory Pre-Departure Meeting – will be scheduled for late March early April
  • Nantes Registration - Deadline to submit final application to the Study Abroad Office – April 30th, 2017
  • Trent Administrative Tasks – Deadline April 13th, 2017
  • Passports/Visas*

All students must have a valid passport to study abroad. It must be valid three months after your visa expires in France, which would be the following September of your arrival in France.

If you do not have a passport or it expires before the following September, you must apply for a new passport.
As of March 2016, the passport fees are $120 for a 5-year adult passport or $160 for a 10-year adult passport. The processing time will vary depending on your method of submission. Submitting your application in person always yields the fastest processing time. For detailed information, please visit Passport Canada’s Official website.
*If students have dual citizenship in any country within the European Union and hold a valid passport, the visa is not required.

Useful links

Birth certificate – long form and translated into French

A long-form birth certificate (sometimes called Certified Copy of Birth Registration in other provinces) is required for the Carte de séjour (part 2 of the visa application) and the CAF housing aid application.

For those born in Ontario, you must order it from ServiceOntario. If your birth certificate is not bilingual you will need to have it translated before you go by a certified translator (the French Consulate in Toronto has a list of accredited translators)*. In addition, both the original and the French translation of the long-form birth certificate will need to be legalized. The French Consulate in Toronto can legalize these documents for you by appointment; however, they will not legalize a document unless it has been translated by someone on their list of accredited translators.

*Regardless of the translation agency used, please make sure to verify all information on the translated copy to ensure accuracy before bringing it to the consulate to be legalized.

Based on feedback from previous students, the cost of translating the birth certificate was approximately $50. The translation service was quite quick, as students normally had it within a couple of days. The cost for legalizing both documents was approximately $20 and the Consulate normally did it for them in person upon appointment.

3B VISA application

We highly recommend that you begin reviewing the visa procedures in May and begin preparing your documents along the way. This is a two part process. Part one is completed prior to departure and part two is completed once you are in Nantes.

Always follow the procedures provided by the Consulate General of France. They will provide you with the most up to date information.

The information provided here is simply a supplement to help you prepare your visa application.

Please be aware that the French Department has no authority or jurisdiction with respect to your visa application.

Any questions regarding the application should be sent directly to the Consulate.

Applying for a 3B Visa (Inter-University Exchange)
Definition: A visa is a stamp or sticker placed by officials of a foreign country on a passport that allows the bearer to visit that country. Visas are obtained from the proper embassy or local consulates of the country to be visited.

How: Download the application kit for the 3B visa from the France-Canada Youth Mobility Agreement website. Carefully prepare your application package and submit it to the Consulate General of France of Toronto. Incomplete applications cannot and will not be processed.

When: As early as possible after your letter of acceptance from Nantes arrives.
Where: General Consulate of France in Toronto.
- The visa section is open to the public by appointment only.
Who: Students are responsible for completing their application form and for submitting it in plenty of time to the Consulate. 

You can submit your application in person or by mail.
In person: by appointment only, must be booked in advance.

By mail:

2 Bloor St East, suite 2200
Toronto, Ontario
M4W 1A8 Canada

Note: Only nationals of the following countries are exempt from entry and long-stay visa
requirements: Member States of the European Union and the European Economic Area (EEA),
Andorra, Monaco and Switzerland. Go to the France Diplomatie website for more information on visa exemptions.

Informing the Ministry of Health you will be out of Country and will need to revise your Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)

To confirm your continuous OHIP coverage during your temporary absence from Ontario, contact your local ServiceOntario centre before you leave Ontario. You will need to show a document explaining the reason for your absence. The Study Abroad Advisor will provide you with a letter. Call your local Service Ontario Centre prior to going to ensure that process this service at their office, as not all Centre’s provide full services.
OHIP only covers emergency health services at very limited rates. It is strongly recommended that you obtain additional private medical insurance.

Useful Links

Subscribe to travel updates – Global Affairs

Subscribers to the Travel Updates service receive daily emails on the latest updates to our Travel Advice and Advisories section.

Register with Global Affairs

Registration of Canadians Abroad is a free service that allows the Government of Canada to notify you in case of an emergency abroad or a personal emergency at home. The service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest. You may do so here.

Complete the following administration forms

online through your “MyTrent”

  • Agreement for Participation
  • Release of Consent
  • Responsibility Waiver
  • Trent Emergency Contact Program
  • Health & Safety Assignment
  • Review the checklist

Once in Nantes

The exchange coordinator from Waterloo or Trent will assist the group during the first week. They will meet you at the airport with a shuttle to take you to campus. Some meetings that take place during the first week are listed below.

Visa Part 2 -- Carte de Séjour

This is the second step of your visa application. Your Visa will be valid for a period of 3 months.
For a stay lasting over 6 months, you will need to obtain a Carte de séjour (a temporary residency card).
The international relations office at Nantes University will help you with the paperwork for the application.
You will need to bring your Long Form Birth Certificate with you from Canada.
Please note: you will have to undergo a medical examination by the Office Français de
l’Immigration et de l’Intégration (OFII) 
as part of the process to obtain your Carte de séjour.



  • Most stores, including grocery stores, are closed on Sundays.
  • Offices, including residence offices and post offices) are typically closed over the lunch hour (between 12-2pm).

Resources from Université de Nantes