How to Apply

For a Department Year Abroad's application and eligibility, please contact the specific Trent Academic Department.

Eligibility requirements for summer programs, volunteer programs and internships differ between programs.

For an Exchange and Letter of Permission:

Eligibility requirements:

  • Trent student enrolled in a 4-year Honours or 3 year General program, with any major.
  • A minimum cumulative average of 70% is required;
  • Students must be enrolled in at least a minimum full-time load (3.5 Trent equivalent) during your time abroad;
  • Students usually go abroad in their 3rd year, but we're flexible as long as you will be able to meet your host university's course pre-requisites;
  • Oshawa Campus students are eligible to include a study abroad as part of your degree at Trent.

How do I prepare to apply for an Exchange or Letter of Permission Study Abroad?

  • Begin by looking at our list of destinations to find out which countries and universities interest you;
  • Consider the various host universities’ available courses to see how your time abroad will work into your Trent degree;
  • Book an appointment with your Academic Advisor of your College to map out a study plan to determine your degree requirements;
  • Book an appointment with the Study Abroad Office for further information and resources on study abroad destinations and programs;
  • Attend information sessions to meet incoming and returning exchange students.

Application Process

The Study Abroad Placement Application is available through your "MyTrent" under the Academics tab.

Application will include the following:

  • Two choices of where you'd like to study, the second choice being a backup in case we cannot place you in your first choice;
  • A written rationale explaining why you wish to study abroad and its relevance to your Trent degree, your aspirations and your goals. Up to 500 words;

Application is on a rolling deadline, and will be based upon availability. Early applicants will be notified by mid-February on conditional acceptance and placement nomination.

Once you are nominated you will be required to complete the host universities applications for nomination, at this point you may need an academic reference.

There is a placement fee of $250, payable after you have been accepted.