Frequently Asked Questions


Where can I go?

Trent has many host institution connections already established. If you do not see a particular destination you are interested in, you may set up your own Letter of Permission.

Am I eligible?

Any student who meets the application requirements is eligible.

I'm a Trent at Oshawa student. Can I study abroad?

Yes! Study Abroad staff visit Oshawa many times a year. Let Oshawa's main office know you are interested in studying abroad, and they will come to you.

What is an Exchange?

An Exchange is an arrangement between Trent and a partner institution. One of the partner university’s students will come to Trent while you are visiting their school. You pay Trent tuition fees and remain enrolled as a Trent student while abroad. You will be responsible for paying full-time tuition and ancillary fees to Trent regardless of whether you choose to take a reduced course load abroad.

What is a Department Year Abroad?

Some specific departments at Trent University have unique programs which combine academics and work-placement opportunities abroad to highlight aspects of the discipline. The departments which offer a Year Abroad Program are Modern Languages and Literatures and International Development Studies.

What is a Letter of Permission?

If you wish to go to an institution which is not one of Trent’s partners, a Letter of Permission allows you to establish a contract with Trent University which will give you credit for the courses taken at your host institution. You are responsible for arrangements with the university you are interested in.

Why is it preferred that I study abroad in my 3rd year?

By your 3rd year you should have adapted to university life and acquired the academic skills required to study in a foreign environment.
Many students finishing their 1st year often do not have the pre-requisites required for courses at a host institution.

Can I study abroad in my 2nd year?

Yes you can!  However, 2nd year applicants are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.  Please consult with a study abroad advisor.

Do I have to speak the language of the country fluently?

  • On an Exchange, no. Many of our non-English speaking partner institutions offer courses in English, regardless of the official language(s) of the country.
  • However, on a Department Year Abroad for the Modern Languages department, you will be required to take courses in the language of instruction of the host university.

Can I study overseas during the summer session?

Yes. Students may go on one of Trent's Summer programs or a Letter of Permission for the summer session.

How long will I be away?

  • You can either participate for one academic semester or a full academic year.
  • Summer programs usually run from 4-6 weeks.


What is the course load requirement?

You are expected to enroll in a normal full-time course load at your host institution.

Do I get credit for the courses I take while abroad?

  • Through MyTrent, under Academics, under Courses you can look at LOP equivalencies; this is a sample of courses already approved at partnered universities.
  • Any course not already assessed as an LOP can still give you specific credit from Trent, it just has not been previously completed by a Trent student abroad and thus has not been previously assessed as an equivalent.
  • Upon successful completion, all pre-approved courses taken at the host institution may be credited to your Trent degree.
  • If you are abroad and come across a course you wish to take, you will need to re-submit your Transfer Credit Assessment Form for re-evaluation. 

How do I get a host university’s courses approved for Trent credit?

  • Once course registration has been confirmed at the host institution, you will be required to complete a Transfer Credit Assessment Form that will be assessed by our academic department(s) for evaluation.

How will my grades from my time abroad appear on my Trent transcript?

  • All grades from host universities will appear as PASS/FAIL on your Trent transcript.
  • Numeric grades will only be considered for scholarship recipients but will still appear as PASS/FAIL on your Trent transcript.

Finance and Accommodations

How much does studying abroad cost?

  • You pay full-time Trent tuition and ancillary fees for a Formal Exchange (regardless of course load taken while abroad).
  • You are responsible for the cost of housing and meals. Some partners allow you to simply pay housing to Trent, but most students can expect to pay housing and meal plan to the host institution.
  • You are responsible for the cost of transportation, health, medical, and general living expenses. A more detailed explanation can be found at our Costs Page.
  • There is a placement fee of 250.00$ once you have been approved and you have accepted your offer to Study Abroad (this is non-refundable).

Is there any financial assistance available?

  • OSAP-eligible students can continue receiving OSAP while abroad.
  • There are a number of exchange awards, bursaries, loans and scholarships available to eligible students. Please inquire at the Study Abroad Office.
  • If you have an existing scholarship it still applies when you Study Abroad

Where do I live while abroad?

  • Depending on the agreement and host institution, residence accommodations and/or a meal plan may be included in your exchange.
  • A few institutions do not have residences. If this is the case, you are responsible for finding your own accommodations. The host institution should have information on convenient accommodation locations to assist you.


When should I begin planning my study abroad?

  • As early as possible to avoid last-minute complications. You must ensure your degree requirements will be met while abroad.
  • The formal process begins in the Fall semester of your 2nd year, when Study Abroad holds information sessions.

How do I get started planning an exchange?

  • You should begin with a visit to the Trent Study Abroad Program office, Champlain College room 301, to familiarize yourself with our exchange opportunities.
  • You should also book an appointment with your Academic Advisor to help you plan your degree and figure out your degree requirements.

Where can I find the application form?

The application form can be found in your myTrent in "Academics" tab under the "Study Abroad" heading inside the "Outbound" folder.

When is the deadline for applications?

The deadline for the 2018-2019 Study Abroad year is  January 22nd, 2019 for the first round of nominations.