If You Have Experienced Sexual Assault

If you, or someone you know, has experienced sexual assault:

In Peterborough:

During office hours (9:00 am – 4:00 pm): Phone or visit Health Services at 705-748-1481, Blackburn Hall 111, Trent University.

After hours: Go to the Peterborough Regional Health Centre’s emergency department and ask for the sexual assault on-call nurse, 1 Hospital Dr, Peterborough. For more information and a Public Servie Announcement about sexual assault, please visit:

To make an appointment to receive support and referrals from the Sexual Violence Prevention Coordinator, please phone 705-748-1011 x7792 or email, Trent Campus, Lady Eaton College, Suite N130

In Durham:

During office hours (9:00 am – 4:00 pm): Phone the Durham campus counsellor, at 905-435-5102 x5024.

After hours: Phone the Durham Region Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Care Centre (Lakeridge Health) 905-576-8711 or visit the Lakeridge Health emergency department, 1 Hospital Court, Oshawa


Student Services

The first point of contact recommended for students in Peterborough disclosing sexual assault is the Clinical Team Leader of Student Health Services, Ruth Walker. She will meet with you to assess your needs, and refer you for further care and support according to your situation. The Physicians and Nurse at Health Services can also receive a disclosure.  Health Services contact information and hours is here:

To make an appointment to receive support and referrals from the Sexual Violence Prevention Coordinator, please phone 705-748-1011 x7792 or email

Trent staff who are trained to receive disclosures:

Student Health Services: Clinical Team Leader, Physicians and Nurses, Sexual Violence Prevention Coordinator

Counselling Centre: Counsellors

Housing: College Residence Life Coordinators

For Trent Durham students, the first point of contact is the Personal Counsellor, Candice Stoliker, who can be reached at (905) 435-5102 x5024, email More information is here:

Students disclosing to Health Services, Counselling, residence staff (dons or residence life co-ordinators), or other student services/student affairs staff can expect the following response:

  • The staff member will treat you with dignity and respect.
  • Staff will meet with you in a private location. You may bring one or more support persons with you if that will help.
  • Staff’s first priority will be to ensure your immediate needs are being met.
  • Staff will treat what you disclose as confidential, with the exception if there is imminent danger to you or someone else.

Staff will be guided by what you want and need. You will be provided with options and it will be your choice what you want to pursue. These options include:

  • Medical attention
  • Developing a safety plan
  • Intervention with the person you are reporting assaulted you (see section on judicial options below). This will be guided by what you wish to see happen, and can be revisited if you need more time to consider options.
  • Reporting to Campus Security (see below)
  • Referrals to Counselling and other resources
  • Assistance with any academic support you may need
  • Follow-up and check-ins to see how you’re doing
  • For students, your Don, College Residence Life Co-ordinator, Student Services, Centre for Human Rights, Equity and Accessibility Department, Campus Security or the local Police department
  • For employees, your supervisor, Human Resources, Human Rights, Equity and Accessibility Department, Campus Security or the local Police department

Campus Security

If you report a sexual assault to Campus Security, you can expect the following response:

  • The Security guard, supervisor or Risk Management Director (Security) will treat you with dignity and respect.
  • Security will meet with you in a private location.  You may bring one or more support persons of your choice if you wish.
  • Before taking your statement, Security will advise you that we will maintain your confidentiality and only take action that you request in a manner that you are comfortable with.  You will retain control of the process at all times.  EXCEPTION:  If the information you provide indicates that there is an imminent threat to someone, Security has a legal duty to warn that person and take necessary action to protect that person, including advising the Police.  Every effort will be made to protect your confidentiality, but this may not be possible in all cases.
  • Security will ask whether you feel safe and work with you to develop an on-campus safety plan.
  • Security will take your statement and ask how you wish to proceed.  Options include:
    • Creating a Security incident report for information purposes only, in case the suspect reoffends or begins to pose a safety concern for the person making the report.  Security will advise the survivor if there is any future indication that their safety is in danger.  Unless there is new information, Security will not take any action directly with the suspect and will advise the survivor before initiating contact with the suspect.
    • If the suspect is a student or employee of Trent University, having Security advise the suspect that the incident has been reported and request that the suspect make any restitution or abide by any conditions requested by the survivor so that they can feel safe on campus and move on.  The suspect will also be warned that any further incidents will result in disciplinary action and/or criminal charges.  If the suspect refuses to comply, Security will consult with the survivor to determine what, if any, other options they would like to pursue.
    • If the suspect has been identified and is not a student or employee of Trent University, having Security formally trespass the suspect from campus.
    • Making a report underthe Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Policy
    • Making a report to the local Police service.
    • In all cases, Security will refer the survivor to on-campus and external support services such as the Kawartha Sexual Assault Centre (KSAC).

Judicial Options

Trent University recognizes the challenges that survivors may face when reporting sexual assault and wish to support individuals through whatever process suits them.

We encourage survivors to file a report with Campus Security or the Police, even if they do not choose to pursue a formal complaint.

Another option includes the use of one of Trent’s policies. Through these policies, survivors have the option of:

  • Seeking restorative solutions, including the respondent moving if in residence, apologies, behaviour change, mediation (which can take place separately or face-to-face) or having staff speak to the respondent on your behalf
  • Pursuing formal sanctions through a campus judicial process

Information on our policies can be found at the following links:  

Off-Campus Resources


Women’s Health Care Centre, Peterborough Regional Health Centre: 705-743-2121 Ext. 0 and switchboard will contact the on-call Women’s Health Care Centre Registered Nurse. Their Sexual Assault Response team is available twenty-four hours a day through the Emergency Department at Peterborough Regional Health Centre.  If you have been assaulted you can go to: Peterborough Regional Health Centre, Emergency Department, 1 Hospital Drive Peterborough.

For more information available at

Kawartha Sexual Assault Centre: 24-hour crisis line (705) 741-0260, website


  • Durham Region Domestic Violence / Sexual Assault Care Centre (Lakeridge Health) 905-576-8711
  • 24 hour crisis line. Counselling and referrals for male/female sexual assault victims, all ages.
  • Durham Rape Crisis Centre 905-668-9200 24 hour counselling and support groups for recent or past abuse.
  • Herizon House - Ajax-Pickering Women’s Centre 24 hour crisis line. 1-866-437-4066
  • The Denise House (Shelter) – Oshawa 905-728-7311 or 1-800-263-3725 24 hour crisis line for abused women, counselling, children’s programs.
  • Distress Centre Durham 905-430-2522 or 1-800-452-0688 24 hour telephone counselling, crisis and suicide intervention and referral

On-Campus Resources


  • Ruth Walker, Clinical Team Leader, Student Health Services:  705-748-1481, Suite 111- Blackburn Hall The Clinical Team Leader of Student Health Services is the key point of contact on the Peterborough campus for responding to sexual assault of a student. She will meet with the student to assess the student’s needs and refer them for further care according to their situation and wishes. 
  • Robyn Ocean, Coordinator, Sexual Violence Prevention and Peer Support, Lady Eaton College, N130,, 705.748.1011 ext.7792
  • Tara Harrington, Centre for Human Rights, Equity and Accessibility, email, 705.748.1011 ext 7725.  
  • Louise Fish, Director Risk Management, phone (705)748-1011 ext. 7375, email  
  • Campus Security 705-748-1328, or ext 1333 in an emergency, email
  • Trent Counselling Centre. Blackburn Hall, Suite 113 Phone: (705) 748-1386, email
  • Trent Housing Services. Blackburn Hall, Suite 129. Phone (705) 748-1011 x 7127, email or contact your residence don/college residence life co-ordinator


Candice Stoliker, email, Counsellor Accessibility Adviso, Student Accessibility Services, Trent University Durham (905) 435-5102 x5024