October is CyberSecurity Awareness Month - Join Us!
Dear Faculty, Staff and Students,
Join us in an internationally celebrated event which aims to spread cybersecurity and online safety awareness around the world.
- All month long we will be posting daily Cyber-Tips on our Twitter account @Trent_IT and on Instagram @itattrent
- We’re launching our new blog, which will get regular updates to give you customised, easily digestible security information that you can use in your school, work and personal life: https://www.trentu.ca/it/cybersecurity/blog
- The Great College Competition is back! We are keeping with the tradition started last year to have a college competition for students to earn points for their college based on how many security tasks they can complete as a team. (More details below.) While this campaign is aimed at students, we’d also like to encourage faculty and staff to participate.
- IT workshops are continuing through October, check them out here : https://www.trentu.ca/it/fall-2020-it-workshops-at-a-glance#October
- Trent Cybersecurity resources have recently been updated. See the various links provided here : https://www.trentu.ca/it/services/internet-security
The Great College Competition
This October the competitive spirit takes over the Trent University Colleges. During Cybersecurity Month Trent IT has organized a college cybersecurity competition. Complete tasks that make you more cyber-secure to earn your college points. The college with the most points on November 1st will win the coveted trophy – and of course, bragging rights until next year!
The competition begins right now!
Complete any of the following tasks and earn 1 point for each:
- Change your myTrent password (instructions at https://www.trentu.ca/it/changing-your-password)
- Add MFA/2FA to your myTrent account to make it extra secure! (instructions at https://www.trentu.ca/it/services/user-guides/azure-mfa-faqs-about-mfa)
- Run a malware scan on your computer and send a screenshot to firstname.lastname@example.org – (Please send from your @trentu.ca email so we can keep track) (instructions at https://www.trentu.ca/it/services/virus-scanning-and-malware-protection)
- Take a phishing test and email a screenshot of the results page to email@example.com – (Please send from your @trentu.ca email)
Don't worry about the score you get, but please do read through the very helpful explanations on each example : https://phishingquiz.withgoogle.com/)
- Complete the cyber security awareness survey at: https://trentu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_88Jt6vDX4A2GOdT
Check out the score board at https://www.trentu.ca/CollegeCompetition/ to see how your college is doing. Check back for periodic updates.
A few important notes:
To equalize the competition relative to the numbers in each college, points will be calculated based on percentage of total population to complete tasks.
The score board will be periodically updated throughout the month of October, however not in real-time.
Remember, cybersecurity is a team sport. It’s up to everyone to do their part to help keep our institution cyber-safe.
Associate Vice President, IT
P.S. Missed a Tech Bulletin? Please go to https://www.trentu.ca/it/bulletins to review the Tech Bulletin archives
Posted on October 1, 2020