Research Accounting Update
Research Account Reporting, Year-End Deadlines & Extension Opportunities
March 25, 2021
Many research accounts require reporting to external agencies for activities ending March 31, 2021. To facilitate timely and accurate reporting for research projects, the March month end close must include all expenditures incurred up to and including March 31, 2021.
Month End Deadlines:
April 5, 2021
- Invoices must be submitted to Accounts Payable in order to be reflected in March activities
- Expense reports reflecting expenses incurred up to March 31, 2021 must be submitted through Chrome River
April 12, 2021
- Visa cardholders must have their March 2021 transactions allocated on-line. These are transactions included in your April 6, 2021 cycle close date.
If you will be travelling over these dates, please contact your Restricted Funds Accountant to make arrangements to ensure all expenses are appropriately recorded to your research accounts.
Any items received after these dates will be reflected in your April 2021 account activity.
NSERC / SSHRC – COVID-19 – Grant Extensions
- Given the ongoing impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, NSERC and SSHRC are allowing, on request, a one-year extension to grants ending after March 31, 2021.
Extensions are being allowed for the following grants:
- Connection Grants
- Partnership Development Grants
- Partnership Grants
- Partnership Engage Grants
- Insight Development Grants
- Insight Grants
- University programs (with the exception of Advancing Climate Change Science in Canada; Canada-UK Artificial Intelligence Initiative; Joint Canada-Germany 2+2 call on Advanced Manufacturing-Industry 4.0; Joint Canada-UK projects on Quantum Technologies; Whale Science for Tomorrow; WaterWorks Joint Call; Ship Time Program; Belmont Forum; Emerging Infectious Disease Modelling Initiative, DND/NSERC Discovery Grant Supplements)
- College and Community Innovation program
- Networks of Centres of Excellence
Tri-Agency Grants – Automatic One-Year Extensions
- Some Tri-Agency programs give an automatic one-year extension to allow the grantees to use the funds remaining in their account and bring their research activities to a close. The automatic one-year extension is available for eligible research projects ending on March 31, 2021. For a list of programs eligible for the automatic one-year extension, please see the attached.
If you would like to take advantage of either of these extension opportunities, or if you have any questions regarding the above matters, please contact your Restricted Funds Accountant.
Restricted Funds Accountant:
Janin Deason Extension 6132 email@example.com
Kerri Cassalman Extension 7697 firstname.lastname@example.org
Emmalyne Sullivan Extension 6613 email@example.com
Thank you for your cooperation and attention to these matters.