Dr. Philip Giurlando
1600 West Bank Drive
Peterborough, Ontario K9J 7B8
Phone: (705) 748-1011 x7389
I completed my BA in Politics and Public Administration at Ryerson University in 2007. At Queen's University (Kingston) I completed an MA in International Politics in 2008 and a PhD in Comparative and International Politics in 2013. In 2015 I published a book titled Eurozone Politics, and a paperback was released in 2017. From the summer of 2016 to the summer 2018, together with collaborators Joel Busher and Gavin Sullivan, both of Coventry University, I co-edited a special edition for the Journal of Humanity and Society titled "The Emotional Dynamics of Backlash Politics"; the full special issue can be found here: https://journals.sagepub.com/toc/hasa/42/4 . In February 2018, I won a small grant to fund primary research in France, which I carried out in April/May 2018; this work included obtaining sources at the French national library and interviews of populist politicians. The results of this research were published in International Journal. I have several ongoing research activities. One examines the kinds of foreign policies adopted by populist governments. Another is France’s foreign policy particularly in relation to its partners in the Eurozone an to its former African colonies. Finally, I have an enduring theoretical interest in the nature and causes of inter-state hierarchies. I have regularly appeared in the media to discuss European political and financial issues, particularly CTV News. For fun, I read classical literature and do hip-hop dancing; some of my freestyle hip-hop moves can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1kPiLbeEyk
- Giurlando, Philip.2021. Stigma, Hierarchy, and the Eurozone. Journal of European Politics and Society. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23745118.2021.1928818
- Giurlando, Philip. 2021. Democratizing International Agreements in the Context of Inter-State Hierarchies, Griffith Journal of Law and Human Dignity 8(2):1-15.
- Giurlando, Philip. 2020. Emmanuel Macron's Challenge: Ensuring Proximate Parity with Germany, Modern and Contemporary France 28(3): 285-305.
- Giurlando, Philip (2020). Populist Foreign Policy: The Case of Italy, Canadian Foreign Policy Journal, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/11926422.2020.1819357
- Giurlando, Philip (2020). Political Betrayal, Political Agency, and International Politics in (eds) Jan D. Sinnot and Joan S. Rabin, The Psychology of Political Behaviour in a Time of Political Change, New York: Springer.
- Giurlando, Philip (2020). Review of "Activists Under Surveillance: the FBI Files," Intelligence and National Security.
- Giurlando, Philip (2020). Review of "The Targeter: My Life in the CIA, Hunting for Terrorists, and Challenging the White House," Intelligence and National Security.
- Giurlando, Philip (2020). "This Was Not Supposed to Happen!" Betrayal, Populism, and the Demand for Control. Populism (3): 1:20
- Giurlando, Philip (2019). France's Declassement in the Eurozone. International Journal 74(4): 559-580.
- Busher, J, Giurlando, P and Sullivan, G. (2018). Introduction: The Emotional Dynamics of Backlash Politics Beyond Anger, Hate, Fear, Pride and Loss. Humanity and Society, 42(4): pp. 399-409.
- Giurlando, Philip (2015). Eurozone Politics: Perception and Reality in Italy, the UK, and Germany. New York: Routledge
- Giurlando, Philip (2015). Italy and the Euro: Expectations versus Results. Mediterranean Quarterly 26(3): 29-48.
- Giurlando, Philip (2012). Vicarious Evaluation: How European Integration Changes National Identities. Review of European and Russian Affairs 7(2), 1-14. https://ojs.library.carleton.ca/index.php/rera/issue/view/23
POST 2230Y (WI only):World Politics
POST 3280H FA: Critical Security Studies
POST 3290H WI: Causes of War
POST 3161H FA Populism in the 21st Century
POST 4271H FA: History of Democracy
POST 4272H WI:Challenges for Democracy