How to Apply

Whether you want to take a few courses or jump into a program, online courses are a great way to transition to Trent. If you aren’t sure which path is right for you, get in touch with our Admissions team and we’ll help you get started.

Undergraduate Courses

If you haven’t yet become a Trent student, you will have to submit an application in order to complete a course for credit – but don’t worry, you don’t have to be a full-time student right away. Many of our programs and courses are available to part-time students with declared and undeclared majors. Once you have a taste of the Trent experience, you can dive deeper into a program online and on campus. There is no difference in status between students who take their courses online and those who learn face-to-face, so you’re encouraged to explore the Trent community and its opportunities. You’ll receive the same supports and services as on-campus students, although you may access them in a different way if you don’t live near the Peterborough or Durham campus.

All of the programs and courses available online are subject to the same standards and admissions requirements as on-campus courses. Contact the Undergraduate Admissions office if you have any questions about courses or getting started on your application. You will be able to register for courses after you have received your offer of admission.

Students from Other Institutions

Canadian and international students are welcome to take online courses for credit at Trent on a Letter of Permission, which is granted by your home university. It ensures that you will get credit for the course taken – this is a great way to get ahead on your program. Courses are offered all year round, including the Summer session.  Often your home university will have policies based on which credits can be granted and how many letter of permission courses you can take. You can learn more about how to apply as a Letter of Permission student on the Office of the Registrar website.

Non-Credit Students

If you would like to take an undergraduate-level course for interest rather than credit, you can sign up as an audit student. Audit students pay half of the regular course fee and are not required to submit assignments or complete any exams. This means that no credit will or can be assigned to you at the end of the course. If you wish to take courses for credit towards a degree or diploma at Trent or at another postsecondary institution, you must follow normal application or letter of permission processes. Please contact Trent Admissions for more information on auditing a course.

Graduate Courses

To learn more about how to apply to Graduate level online courses, please visit the School of Graduate Studies website.


Enrolling in an online course works the same way as registering for on-campus classes. Check out the Academic Timetable to see review the courses being offered. To access the registration system, log in through your myTrent portal and click on the Academics tab. Choose either the “Express Registration” or “Search and Register for Courses” icon, and then identify your online by looking for the “Web-based Course” entry in the Location field. By signing up for an online course, you are bound by the same policies and regulations as any other Trent student.

If you are having difficulty with registration, or have any other questions related to course load or your academic record, please contact the Office of the Registrar.