Lync / Skype(Business) Install / Update
The following step-by-step instructions are for Mac users who have downloaded Office 2011 or Office 2016 for Mac. These instructions apply for Mac OSX version or later.
Lync/Skype for Business is not currently part of the installation package offered by Microsoft and must be downloaded and installed separately.
- Log into myTrent with your staff username and password – https://www.trentu.ca/mytrent/
- Click on Services from the upper right.
- Navigate down to the IT Services section and select the Microsoft Staff Advantage icon.
- Just below the Install Now button is a link for Other Installs. Click on that.
- On the left hand side select the option for Skype for Business.
- Click the Install button on this page. Depending on your browser you may see a popup and if you do click the option to Save File.
- Once the file has downloaded open it.
- Double-click on the Lync Installer and follow the onscreen instructions.
- When prompted, provide the username/account name and password for your Mac computer.
- Once the installation is complete you should have a Lync icon sitting on your Dock but you will also have an icon in Finder under the Applications folder.
- Open Lync and accept the terms and conditions.
- You will then be asked if you want to use Lync as your default application for telephone calls. If you’re already using another application for this purpose then click Don’t Change. If you’re unsure then also select Don’t Change. If you want to use Lync for this purpose then click Use Lync.
- Sign into Lync using the following information:
Installing Update to Lync/Skype for Business:
The following section is a step-by-step guide for downloading and installing the update for Lync/Skype for Business. This only applies if you have followed the above steps to install Lync/Skype for Business.
- Download the update from the Microsoft page by clicking the Download button.
- Once the download is complete launch the setup by double-clicking the file.
- Similar to the above steps, double-click the installer icon and following the onscreen instructions.
- When prompted, enter the username/account name and password for the Mac computer.
Once the setup is complete you can open Lync again.
- Professor Emeriti
- Email & Collaboration