Viruses and Malware - Remove Malware from your Computer
This user guide will describe the process for attempting to remove malware from a Windows computer. Please note, it may not be possible to entirely remove malware from your PC using the steps outlined here. This guide is intended to be a general overview and a guideline for remediation steps for users who prefer to self-service. For additional support please contact the IT Service Desk.
Run a Windows Defender scan on-demand
Windows Defender is a managed anti-virus tool that is pre-installed on managed PC computers at Trent University. The same application, without the central management components, is also installed by default as part of the Windows 10 operating system. Follow these steps to have Windows Defender run an on-demand scan of your computer:
- Click the start menu and begin to type the phrase "defender", from the search results select Windows Security
- From the main page of Windows Security, select Virus and Threat Protection
- Select Scan Options
- Change the toggle box to "Full Scan" and click scan now.
This process will perform a scan of every file on your hard drive and may take more than an hour to complete. Files detected as malware will automatically be removed or quarantined.
Investigate startup settings
- Click the start menu and begin to type the phrase "task manager", from the search results select Task Manager.
- In the task manager application select the Startup tab
- Review the items listed for applications you don't remember installing, or don't look like common applications. For any items that look anomalous, right-click them and select disable.
For assistance with any of the above tasks, or responding to malware generally please contact the IT service desk by email at email@example.com or by phone at 705-748-1010.
- Professor Emeriti