Microsoft Bookings: For Groups
For general information on using Microsoft Bookings, please start with our Getting Started guide.
Customize your Bookings site
- Once your Microsoft Bookings site has been created (see our Getting Started guide), you can customize your site to suit your needs.
Set Business Information
- Select Business Information from the left navigation menu.
- Set the typical hours that you would like clients to be able to book into your team's calendars by defining the Business hours section.
- To offer two separate time blocks on a single day, select the + button to the right of the times.
- To disallow bookings for a certain day, select the X button to the right of the times.
Set up Staff
- Select Staff from the left navigation menu.
- If your available hours differ from the Business hours, select your name to customize your own hours. Select Save at the top when finished.
- To add another member of your team to the Bookings site, select Add staff at the top of this page.
- Select a colour for the staff member.
- Enter the Initials.
- To add a Trent faculty or staff member, begin typing the name in the Add people box. Select Search Directory from the pop-up, then select the appropriate person.
- The Email field is automatically filled for Trent faculty and staff.
- Select Viewer to allow the staff member to only see but not modify all bookings, or select Administrator to allow the staff member access to all settings in the Bookings site.
- To ensure accurate availability is shown on the Bookings site, make sure Events on Office 365 calendar affect availability is selected.
- If the staff member's hours differ from the Business hours, clear the Use business hours checkbox and modify as required. See Microsoft's guide on setting employee working hours for more information.
- Select Save at the top when finished.
- Each staff member will receive an e-mail request to approve adding their availability to the Bookings site. Staff will not be bookable until they give approval.
Set up Services
- Select Services from the left navigation menu.
- If this is the first service for your Bookings site, select the Initial consult service to edit it and turn it into one of your services. Otherwise, select Add a service.
- Adjust the Service name. For office hours, it may be helpful to allow varying appointment lengths -- for example: 15 minute consult, 30 minute chat, etc.
- Adjust the Description to describe what you are offering for the appointment.
- Add a Default location for this type of service -- for example: IT Service Desk, Bata Library 2nd floor, or online video call.
- You can also select Add online meeting to add join information using Microsoft Teams. External clients can connect to you via Teams in their browser.
- Set the Default Duration.
- Consider adding Buffer time to allow time to regroup before or after each appointment.
- Select Let the customer manage their booking to allow the client to change or cancel their appointment from their confirmation e-mail.
- Adjust the Reminders and Confirmations section to send reminders to your client and/or yourself as desired. By default, an e-mail reminder is sent the day before to both you and your client.
- Under Assign Staff (at the right or the end of this page), select the appropriate staff members for this service. Selected staff have a check mark next to their names.
Note: Staff will not appear here until they have approved the request to add them to the Bookings site.
- Select Save at the top when finished.
- Select Add a service to add additional services or different appointment lengths that you would like to offer.
Set time off
- Confirm that all staff's personal Office 365 (Outlook) calendars are up-to-date with vacations, holidays, and University closures. This will prevent clients from booking into a staff member's calendar when they are not available.
Configure and publish the Booking Page
- Once you have defined your services and available hours, select Booking Page from the left navigation menu.
- Select Require an Office 365 account from my organization to book to limit the ability to book appointments to only Trent faculty, staff, and students.
- Select Disable direct search engine indexing of booking page.
- Set the Minimum lead time and the Maximum lead time for booking appointments. It is recommended to keep a minimum lead time of at least 24 hours and a maximum lead time of 30 days.
- When you are ready, select Save and publish at the top of this page.
- Open published page to view what it looks like for your clients. Copy the Booking page link to distribute as appropriate.
- For faculty and/or TA office hours, the Booking page link can be copied and posted in your Blackboard course for students to access.
- For a group such as the Academic Advising office, the Booking page link can be published on the department's web site.
- Information Systems
- Teaching & Learning Tools