Cisco Jabber Softphone
- A laptop or desktop computer with an internet connection.
- A VPN connection is required to access the Trent phone system from your computer. Instructions can be found here: https://www.trentu.ca/it/services/virtual-private-network-vpn
- Your extension must be configured for use with Jabber. Requests for this service can be made by submitting the Telecom Service Request form found at myTrent>Services>IT Services>Telecom Service Request Form. (Please note that the Jabber client will replace your desk phone, as each one requires a separate license from Cisco. If this is a concern, please explain the issue in your request so we can assign a second license, if one is available.)
After your extension has been configured by IT, you will receive a link to the installer for your operating system. Before you begin, ensure that your VPN connection is running, then run the installer accepting all the defaults. The first time you launch the application, you may be asked to accept several untrusted certificates. Please do so. Then you will be prompted to enter your email address, after which the client will automatically locate the correct server and prompt for a login. Enter your myTrent password and you should see the Jabber client.
Using your softphone
These instructions were written using the Windows 10 client. Mac client functionality is identical with slight cosmetic differences.
After logging in, confirm the Call Settings icon is green.
If not, confirm you are connected to the VPN.
Set Speaker and Microphone Preferences
If using a headset, check to ensure Jabber audio settings are set correctly.
- In the softphone window, click the Menu icon and then click Settings.
- Click Audio to display the ringer, speaker, and microphone options.
- Select your preferences and then click Apply and then OK.
Place a Call
Simply type the person’s phone number in the Jabber hub Search or call field. When dialing a phone number external to Trent, you must enter a 9 (and a 1 for long distance) first.
To enter digits during a call, you can enter the numbers from your keyboard or click on the numbers in dial pad mode.
Receive a Call
You must have the Jabber application open on your computer to receive a call. When you receive an incoming call, you will see a call window open on your computer screen.
Click Answer to accept the call, or click Decline to forward the call to voicemail.
Transfer a Call
Transferring allows you to transfer a call from your softphone to any other Trent extension.
Click the More Call Controls button in the active call window.
Select Transfer. This will place the caller on hold.
Type the extension of the person to which you want to transfer the call in the search box.
Select the person or number when it appears in the search list. You are now connected to that number.
Press Transfer to complete the transfer.
Place a Call on Hold
Click More Call Controls button in the active call window.
Click Resume to resume the call.
Forward and Unforward Your Calls to Voicemail
Click the Call Settings icon.
Scroll to Forward Calls and select Voicemail.
To Unforward Calls, select None.
Shutting Down Jabber
Closing the Jabber window does not shut down Jabber. To disconnect from the phone system at the end of the day, you have two options:
Right click on the tray icon and select exit, or
Disconnect the VPN