Azure MFA - Enrolling in MFA with Microsoft Authenticator
Trent University offers many options for enrolling in MFA, however, the easiest way to use MFA is through the Microsoft Authenticator app on your smartphone. Microsoft Authenticator is a simple app that relies on notifications to approve or deny access. In addition to using Microsoft Authenticator for your myTrent logins, you can also use it to provide the same security for other sites that offer MFA support including many commercial and personal websites.
This guide will outline the process of setting up the Microsoft Authenticator app to work with your myTrent sign-on and how to enable MFA for your account.
Alternatively, for those who cannot use the App based method, you might also consider using SMS text messaging to complete the MFA process. See: Azure MFA - Enrolling in MFA with SMS Text Messaging for more information.
On your smartphone
- Install the Microsoft Authenticator app from your app store (Google Play Store or Apple App Store)
- Launch the Microsoft Authenticator app. Click I agree to the privacy statement.
On your computer
- At the "More information required" page, click next
- On the "Additional security verification" screen, select the dropdown option under Step 1, and select Mobile app.
- Select the option to receive notifications for verification.
- Click the button for set up authenticator app.
Back on your smartphone:
- Open the Microsoft Authenticator app.
- Select the "Scan a QR code" option.
- When prompted to allow permissions for notifications and/or camera, make sure you click yes, ok or approve.
- Using the camera on your smartphone, scan the QR code that's displayed on your web browser.
- If prompted to allow for notifications, click allow.
Back on your computer:
- Click next in your web browser.
- Click next again in your web browser.
Back on your smartphone again
- Your smartphone will display a notification to approve or deny sign-in. Click approve.
Note: Some Apple iPhone users may be prompted to allow for FaceID after clicking approve. FaceID can be used to control access to the app in case you lose your phone. Click "yes" and perform a FaceID scan, or click "no" and enter the passcode on your device.
6. Back on your computer again
- Enter your phone number in the box provided and click Done.
- You will be redirected back to the myTrent login page.
- Complete the MFA prompt once more in the Notifications area, and you will be redirected back to myTrent.
You're all set! - You've now set up your smartphone to use MFA.
For assistance with this process, please contact the IT Service Desk at 705-748-1010 or by email at email@example.com
- Professor Emeriti