The Trent Computing Labs are general purpose computing facilities located across all campuses. These labs are managed by the Information Technology Department, and are loaded with Windows software suites.
Users must have their Trent username and password in order to login to the computers in the labs.
Computers and Printers:
Network printers are available in certain labs for student use. Printing supplies (toner and paper) are provisioned by IT. Please report any issues with PCs or printers to firstname.lastname@example.org, phone ext. 1010, or visit the Service Desk located on the 2nd floor in Bata Library to report. Credit for printing can be purchased online in myTrent > MyAccount > TrentU Campus Card.
|Location||Number of computers||Printing|
|Bata Library||26 iMacs & 78 PCs||3 Black/White & 1 Colour|
|Champlain College||1 PC||1 Black/White & 1 Colour|
|Gzowski College||6 iMacs||1 Black/White|
|Lady Eaton College||9 PCs||1 Black/White & 1 Colour|
|ESC (Science Complex)||6 PCs||1 Black/White|
|Otonabee College (outside Education)||6 iMacs & 3 PCs||1 Black/White & 1 Colour|
Labs are open during a specific building's posted business hours for the day, but must be cleared 30 minutes prior to building close.
Known issues when using lab computers:
PDF's open in new window, sometimes with an error message.
- After clicking on a link to a PDF document in Internet Explorer, an error message will be displayed.
- It is safe to ignore this message and continue. The PDF will open in a new window.
QuickTime update and MIME type prompts.
- When playing QuickTime content in Internet Explorer the user will be prompted to update to the newest version.
- Click NO and continue
- When playing QuickTime content in Internet Explorer the user will be prompted to reassign some MIME types.
- Click NO and the content should play.
Windows will display a list of programs that can play the Video content when a DVD is inserted into a computer in the lab or at a lectern,
- Select CyberLink PowerDVD from the list. It may not be the first program.
Mixed Content Warning when using MyTrent with IE
- Internet Explorer displays a mixed content warning when using the MyTrent Portal. A warning message is displayed asking the user if they would like to display this insecure content along with the secure content since images are being served over an insecure http:// and not https:// connection.
- It is safe to allow this content to display in our portal
Attachments will Open in "temp" file from Email attachments and subsequent work gets "lost"
- Users should ALWAYS choose SAVE AS then save the attachment to their H:Drive before beginning update to the document.
- Failure to save attachements in your H:/ drive before making changes means that changes are being made to the file in the "temp" folder created from the attachment in email.
- This Temp folder is impossible to find if a user saves their changes and closes the file in this location rather than in their own personal user profile (H: Drive)