Zoom Web Conferencing Guide
For privacy and security regarding Zoom, see our Zoom Privacy and Security guide.
This guide covers:
- Your Zoom account
- Log in to your Zoom account
- Schedule a meeting
- Setting up a class
- Privacy and security options
- Starting a meeting as the host
- Joining a meeting from an invite on your device
- Join a meeting from an H.323 room system
- Download the iOS or Android app (Mobile)
- Recording your Zoom meeting or class
- Zoom Live Captioning
- Using dual monitors with Zoom
- Assign others to schedule for you
- Scheduling for others
- Computer audio options
- More information
Zoom accounts are available to all Trent faculty, staff, and students. Zoom accounts affiliated with Trent University have the following features:
- Host up to 300 participants
- Join from Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, or telephone call-in
- Meeting duration limit is 24 hours
- Unlimited meetings
- One active Zoom meeting at a time per account
- HD video and voice
- Simultaneous screen share
- Host controls, raise hand, breakout rooms, and chat (all/group/private)
- Co-annotation on shared content and whiteboarding
- MP4 or M4A local recording
- Assign others to schedule your meetings
- Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and AES 256-bits encryption
- To log in to your Zoom account, access the Zoom Conferencing icon through the myTrent Portal. The icon can be found under Services -> IT Services.
- You may also log in directly to a Zoom app by selecting Sign In with SSO, enter "trentu" as the company domain, and log in using your myTrent credentials.
- If prompted to log in to Zoom to view a recording, select Sign in with SSO, enter "trentu" as the company domain, and log in using your myTrent credentials.
- To schedule a meeting, log in to your Zoom account and select Meetings on the left navigation menu.
- Select Schedule a New Meeting.
- Fill in the topic, date, time, and duration.
- Note: you can also schedule a meeting to begin immediately.
- Recurring meeting (optional)
- To make the meeting repeat using the same meeting ID, select the Recurring meeting checkbox found under the Time Zone field. Set the recurrence, repeat every, and end date fields.
- Meeting options (optional)
- For privacy and security options, see our Zoom Privacy and Security guide.
- Press Save when complete.
- On this meeting summary page, you can copy the Join URL. You can also select Copy the invitation (to the right of the join URL) to copy the full join information, including telephone dial-in numbers.
- Send the join information to your participants, or post it in your Blackboard course.
- To set up a single Zoom session for a single scheduled class, follow the Schedule a meeting steps above.
To set up a Zoom session for your course that repeats for each scheduled class, follow the Schedule a meeting steps above and include the Recurring meeting option listed in step 3.
- Include additional Security options as necessary.
- Post the join information in your Blackboard course for your students to join at the scheduled time.
- See our Zoom Privacy and Security guide for more information.
- To start a meeting that you have scheduled, log in to your Zoom account and select Meetings on the left navigation menu.
- Select Start found to the right of the meeting ID.
- Follow the on-screen instructions by clicking “Save File” and then the download arrow in the browser toolbar. Select the “Zoom_launcher.exe” file, then press “Run”.
- Common security practices can be found in our Zoom Privacy and Security guide.
- Hosts have many options for managing participants as shown in this Zoom support document.
1. Find the Zoom invitation information in your e-mail, calendar event, or Blackboard course.
2. Click on the link for Join from PC, Mac, iOS or Android:
3. Follow the on-screen instructions by clicking “Save File” and then the download arrow in the browser toolbar. Select the “Zoom_launcher.exe” file, then press “Run”.
A Zoom Pro account is required for this functionality. Please contact email@example.com for more information if you need to connect from a traditional video conference H.323 device.
1. In a Trent room equipped with video conferencing equipment, select the Video Conference button on the Crestron touch panel.
2. Select the Dialing Control tab at the bottom of the touch panel.
3. Select Dial Zoom Meeting.
4. Enter the Meeting ID found in the e-mail invite, then press Call. The Meeting ID is a string of 9 to 11 numbers found at the end of the “Join from PC” URL or at the very bottom of the e-mail invite.
5. To share content with the far participants, press the Input/Camera tab and select which connected content to share.
- In the iOS App Store or the Google Play store, search for “zoom” and install the Zoom Cloud Meetings app.
- To record your Zoom class or meeting, hover over the Zoom window and select Record.
- After the meeting has ended, Zoom will automatically convert the recording to an MP4 file and open the folder containing the recorded file.
- This file can then be uploaded to YuJa and posted to Blackboard.
- To use one monitor for content and a second monitor for people, hover over the Zoom window and select the arrow to the right of the Start/Stop Video icon. Select Video Settings…
- Select the General tab on the left.
- Select Use dual monitors.
- Close the settings dialog, and exit Zoom by clicking the “X” in the Zoom window title bar and selecting Leave Meeting.
- Relaunch Zoom by clicking the download arrow in the browser toolbar again and selecting “Zoom_launcher.exe”, then “Run”.
- Move the main Zoom window (the one that display options when you hover the mouse over it) to the display on which you wish to view people by dragging the title bar. To exit full screen mode on either Zoom window, double-click anywhere in the window.
- Double-click the main Zoom window to make it full screen.
- Log in to your Zoom account and select Settings on the left navigation menu.
- Scroll down to Scheduling Privilege (near the bottom of the list) and select the + symbol beside Assign scheduling privilege to.
- Enter the email address(es) for each person that you want to schedule meetings for you, then select Assign.
- Note: users with scheduling privileges on your Zoom account will be able to see all of your meetings.
- Make sure the person that you are scheduling for has assigned scheduling privileges to you on their Zoom account.
- When scheduling a new Zoom meeting, select the appropriate host beside the Schedule For option.
You can access the Audio Options when first joining a meeting or by hovering over the Zoom window and selecting the arrow to the right of the Mute icon.
Computer Audio tab
From the Computer Audio tab, you can:
- Join or Leave Audio in the meeting you are attending.
- Select Test Mic & Speaker to test the your computer speakers or microphone and adjust the volume.
Join by Phone tab
From the Join by Phone tab, you can:
- Select the flag drop-down to find your country.
- Dial the number listed for your country.
- Enter the meeting ID as seen on the screen when you receive the prompt on your phone.
- Enter the participant ID as seen on the screen when you receive the prompt on your phone.
- Note: If you decided to join via telephone after joining via computer, be sure to include the #Participant ID# when calling. Otherwise you may hear audio feedback or echo in the meeting.
- Media Services
- Teaching & Learning Tools