Student Housing is HIRING again: March 21-April 3, 2023
Thank you for your interest in a position with Trent Student Housing. We offer opportunities for employees to learn, develop, and grow. In working together, our team:
- Cares for one another,
- Hustles to get things done,
- Enjoys our work and interactions, and
- Learns continuously.
Current Student Employment Opportunities
Student Housing employs over 85 students across campus in a variety of exciting roles. We have a several roles we need to re-open applications for - for the 2023 summer and 2023-2024 academic year. See details posted on the Student job portal and below on this webpage.
Working at Student Housing can provide you with a wealth of opportunities to learn and grow outside of the classroom. Working as a student leader provides you with the opportunities to enhance your leadership, communication, and teamwork skills. Each academic year, positions are available within our Student Housing's Operations Team, and within our Residence Life Team. Position requirements, while they can be unique, offer all students an opportunity to contribute positively to our Trent community. Training is provided. Applicants must not have had prior security or conduct issues, must have and maintain minimum academic standing as noted in Residence Life job descriptions, and be in good financial standing with the University.
There are both live-in positions and live-out positions available:
- Live-in positions reserve a guaranteed space in residence for you that you MUST live in. Successful candidates must be available for 2 weeks of training during August, 2023 (dates to be confirmed).
- Live-out positions are open to students living on or off-campus who still wish to have the opportunity to be an integral part of the broader Housing community.
APPLICATIONS for the 2023-2024 academic year are HAVE RE-OPENED FOR A SHORT PERIOD (Mar 22-April 3)
How to Apply:
Unsuccessful candidates from any academic year may re-apply to any/all position(s) for a following academic year, if they plan to be in attendance at Trent during the academic year being hired for.
Check out our Instagram (@trenthousing) for updates.
If you previously applied for a position and were unsuccessful in the first round, please re-apply following the instructions below in the table, and below the table.
Demonstrate (through your resume, cover letter and supporting documentation) and in your application that you understand the requirements of the position (position descriptions are available using the link from the position name in the table below), and how your past experience fits. We expect you also to tell us what it means to be a part of the team in Student Housing
There is ONE APPLICATION FOR ALL CURRENTLY AVAILABLE POSITIONS.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS on this page as some positions may have a UNIQUE SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION requirement that you will need to create, save, and then upload as part of the application process (see table below).
We recommend you have this supporting documentation prepared ahead of time, and ready to upload (in the correct format: .docx or .pdf, with the correct filename) before beginning the application process. Don't be afraid to ask questions!
We've created a hiring video
that steps you through the application process, and provides input from those who currently hold the various positions below:
2023-2024 (Round 2) Positions:
|Position (Use link for 2023-2024 Position Description)||Campus||
Required to Live:
Live-In or Live-Out or Either
|Supporting Documentation to upload with application|
|Housing Facilities Assistant (Operations)||Symons||Either||Single combined file including cover letter, resume, and reference list|
|Service Centre Assistant (Operations)||Symons & Durham/GTA||Either||Single combined file including cover letter, resume, and reference list|
|Sr. Service Centre Assistant (Operations)||Symons & Durham/GTA||Either||
Single combined file including cover letter, resume, and reference list
|Senior Don (Residence Life)||Symons & Durham/GTA||Live-In||Document with answers to questions under Uploading Supporting Documentation|
|Residence Life Education Assistant||Symons & Durham/GTA||Either||Document with answers to questions under Uploading Supporting Documentation|
Community Placement (all positions):
The Trent University Student Housing team is committed to building the best Residence Life Don teams as possible, which will compliment the strengths of individual team members and the ability for Student Housing to support students living in residence. Once job offers have been made, staff will have the ability to submit any accommodation needs for their living and/or working environment. Expectued to be determined by June 2023
Uploading Supporting Documentation
All Operations Positions:
- File Name Format: FirstName.LastName_Operations
- Applicants must create a combined file (.pdf or .docx) that includes a cover letter, resume, and list of three references that include name, address, work role, relationship to applicant, phone number and email.
Sr. Don Applicants ((Returning applicants-Current/Previous Dons)
- File Name Format: FirstName.LastName_SrDon
- Applicants must create, save and upload a file (.pdf or .docx) that includes answers to the following questions.
- Note: For those indicating interest in both Sr. Don AND Residence Life Don-Returning, you may combine answers to all four questions (include the question from Residence Life Don-Returning) in one supporting document, and you will considered for both positions. As a guideline, each response should not exceed 250 words.
- What type of leader should a Senior Life Don be? How should a new and returning Don describe their SRLD (Sr. Residence Life Don)?
- What is your conflict management style? Give an example of how you have navigated conflict in your life.
- What skills do you think are important for supporting a Residence Life Don Team, and how would you demonstrate these skills in your time as a Residence Life Don?
Residence Life Education Assistant: FirstName.LastName_RLEA
- File Name Format: FirstName.LastName_RLEA
- Applicants must create, save and upload a combined file (.pdf or .docx) that includes an answer to the following question, and resume.
- Based on your knowledge and experience, what do you believe students learn as a result of living in residence? In what ways could you support this learning through the support and resources you provide to Residence Life Dons? (maximum 250 words)
Questions? Contact our Hiring Team
- If you have questions on any of our Student Housing student job roles, we encourage you to email us - we will do our best to answer within 24 hours, or sooner.
We offer opportunities for professionals to engage and grow in housing, residence life, and student affairs. We conduct national searches for our positions and are committed to identifying a diverse pool of qualified applicants. Please feel free to visit our University Human Resources website for up-to-date information and applications processes for open Housing Professional positions.