Health and Safety Awareness training
Last Revised October 18, 2019
5 Steps to Completion of Health and Safety Awareness Training:
- Determine if you are a supervisor or worker
- Take the training
- Print your completion certificate
- Give a copy of the certificate to your supervisor
- Advise Human Resources of completion. Send a copy of the completion certificate to HR, the Office of the Dean or Payroll.
1. Determine if you are a supervisor or worker
You are a supervisor if:
You have charge of a workplace or authority over a worker.
It is important to understand that you may be a supervisor even if you don’t have that job title. Managers, group leaders and lead hands are normally considered supervisors. If you instruct or oversee the work of others, even occasionally, you are probably a supervisor.
You are a worker if:
- You perform work or supply services for monetary compensation (i.e. employees and anyone working for the University on a contract of service).
- You are a student completing an unpaid placement for academic credit (i.e. placement students and interns).
Supervisors should complete 'Supervisor Health and Safety Awareness in 5 Steps.' All other workers should complete 'Worker Health and Safety Awareness in 4 Steps.' Only one course is required.
2. Take the training
Training Option 1: Blackboard (Preferred)
- Blackboard is accessible with a Trent email account. Employees (i.e. employee email accounts) have direct access, but students (i.e. student email accounts) must self-enroll (instructions).
- Login to myTrent, click on "Learning System" followed by "mandatory employee training" and "Ministry of Labour Worker (or Supervisor) Training". Read through the materials.
- Click "Quiz, Ministry of Labour (Worker or Supervisor)" then complete the quiz.
- Print and keep a copy of your training certificate.
- Give a copy of your training certificate to your supervisor
Training Option 2: Ministry of Labour online training
- If you are a worker click on Worker Health and Safety Awareness in 4 Steps. If you are a supervisor click on Supervisor Health and Safety Awareness in 5 Steps. (Note: A partially completed course cannot be saved using this website. Do not log out until you have printed your certificate.)
- Read the materials.
- Complete the quiz.
- Print a copy of your training certificate.
- Keep a copy of your training certificate for your files.
- Give a copy of your training certificate to your supervisor.
Training Option 3: In some cases supervisors will provide you with a workbook and in-class instruction.
Download the workbook for Workers
Download the workbook for Supervisors
- Read the course materials.
- Print the quiz pages. Complete the quiz using the paper copy to record your answers.
- Sign and date the completed quiz. Keep a copy for your records.
- Give a copy of the signed, dated quiz to your supervisor.
- In class training should be documented using signed attendance sheets or by keeping hard copies of the completed quizzes.
Training Option 4: Training provided through other agencies is acceptable as long as it meets the minimum requirements of the regulation. (Contact Human Resources if you have questions about training equivalencies).
Supervisors or managers should not accept training from alternate providers without first assessing the course. The Ministry of Labour has developed assessment tools available on the Ministry website. Supervisors can use these assessment tools or contact the Risk Management Department for assistance.
3. Print your completion certificate
You may print a completion certificate on either Blackboard or the Ministry of Labour website, but if you leave the Ministry of Labour webpage before printing the certificate you will not be able to go back and access it.
4. Give a copy of the certificate to your supervisor
Supervisors require proof of completion and will insure that your record is kept in the appropriate employee file.
5. Supervisor advises Human Resources of completion and sends a copy of the completion certificate to HR, the Office of the Dean or Payroll.
Supervisors please notify Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org) when an employee completes the training and Human Resources will update the central training records. A copy of the completion certificate should be sent to HR for OPSEU and Exempt employees, while the Office of the Dean should receive TUFA and CUPE employee completion certificates. Student employee certificates may be sent to Payroll to be kept with the student’s hiring paperwork.
Supervisors please note: If an employee completed the Health and Safety Awareness training on an Academic Department Blackboard site, rather than the Mandatory Employee Training Blackboard site, Human Resources is unable to view these records and will need confirmation of completion from the supervisor.