expand search

School of Graduate Studies

A student and a professor smiling at each other

School of Graduate Studies

Student Funding

Funding Options

  • Financial support for full-time graduate students may be available from a variety of sources.  These include:
  • External scholarships, fellowship and other merit awards from governmental, industrial and other granting bodies in Canada.
  • Internal scholarships, awards or prizes
  • Tuition bursaries, awarded to students based on financial need.  Many bursaries are provided by the generous support of external donors.
  • Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTAs), for teaching, leading seminars and/or laboratory demonstrating.
  • Research Fellowship Awards(RFAs), from supervising faculty members who hold research grants.
  • Internal Funding: Entrance Awards, Research Fellowships, Dean’s PhD Scholarships.
  • Research Assistantships (RAs) with faculty members who hold research grants.
  • Loan from the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP). Ontario students in need of funding for their education should visit the Ontario Student Assistance Program web site. Presentation Slides

Graduate Teaching Assistantships and Research Assistantships administered by Trent University will be paid through the university payroll office, on a monthly basis. Scholarships awarded for the calendar year are normally paid in three equal installments in September, January, and May.