Scholarships & Bursaries
External Scholarship Opportunities
In the case of major scholarship competitions, students currently registered at Trent must meet an earlier deadline set by the University. Application forms and information regarding external scholarships may be obtained from the School of Graduate Studies. Full-time students entering a second year of graduate study at Trent, or those planning further study at another university, should demonstrate that they have applied for external funding. External scholarships are awarded on academic merit, not financial need.
The School of Graduate Studies creates annually a list of available scholarships and internal applications deadlines.
Scholarship Application Deadlines for 2017-18 (tenable 2018-19)
Provincial External Scholarships
Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS) are allocated within each university and not transferable across the university system. Each university have its own form and process but will all adhere to provincial guidelines. Students apply to the institution they plan to attend.
The Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology (QEII-GSST) awards are merit-based scholarships available to students doing research in science and technology. Students apply to the institution they plan to attend.
The Ontario Trillium Scholarships (OTS) program will serve as a significant initiative to attract the best qualified international students to Ontario for PhD studies. An OTS has a value of $40,000 yearly, is awarded to a recipient for a maximum of four years. To be eligible for this award, students must be an international student intending to pursue full-time doctoral studies at Trent University, have a completed graduate application by March 1st and have achieved a first-class average in each of the two years of full-time study prior to being awarded the OTS.
National External Scholarships
Tri-Council Agencies (NSERC, CIHR, SSHRC), is a major supporter of exceptional research focused graduate research.
- Canada Graduate Scholarships – Master’s Program
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) – Doctoral
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) – Doctoral
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) – Doctoral
- Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarship
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
Helpful Links & Tips
- How to Apply (Hosted via NSERC includes SSHRC & CIHR)
- Selecting the appropriate federal granting agency based on subject matter eligibility: Tri-Agency
- NSERC Videos - Instructions
- SSHRC Resource Centre
- CIHR Learning Centre
- Scholarships Canada
Bursary applications are to be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies - Science Complex room 201
The bursary program for graduate students at Trent University is administered by the School of Graduate Studies. Bursaries are meant to supplement, not replace, provincial government aid programs and a student’s own resources.
Students are required to submit a completed application to the Graduate Studies office by the advertised deadline. The application must include to be deemed complete:
- Application form
- A budget that outlines student expenses and resources. Expenses should reflect direct educational costs only. Resources include, but are not limited to, money received from government student aid programs, parents, scholarships, awards, supervisory support and employment earnings. * if you have a half or full GTA it must be clearly stated
- A brief outline of research
- A personal statement regarding your current financial circumstance
- Receipts of any additional expenses that you have indicated in your personal letter
- Proof of debt load if claiming high debt load
Jack Matthews Study and Research Abroad
Named in honour of the founding director of the Trent International Program and Honorary Degree recipient. Awarded to graduate students studying and researching in an international setting as part of a Trent graduate program. Ontario residents only. Application form
Dr. Alicja and Dr. Gosia Zobel Graduate Student Conference Fund
Dr. Alicja Zobel and Dr. Gosia Zobel wish to support students to attend conferences to advance their studies in science, philosophy, or women’s studies and related fields. They are especially interested in the intersection of science, politics and critical thinking. They see science as important for activism and policy work: e.g. water quality, conservation, improved animal welfare standards on farm. Application Form.
William B. Reid Graduate Scholarship
Preference will be given to students of Indigenous heritage from Canada or U.S.A. This funding opportunity is intended to encourage study and research opportunities for students of indigenous heritage who have completed at least two terms of graduate studies at Trent University. Application Form.
Five Sisters PhD Award
This Award honours the lives and contributions of the five Moraff Sisters, the daughters of Herman (Hymie) Moraff and Ida Feder Moraff who came to Canada in their youth and settled in the Mi'kmaq territory of Sydney, NS. Encouraged by their parents, all five sisters undertook post-secondary education before marrying, which was contrary to popular custom in the 1940s and 1950s. They held advanced education in high esteem and encouraged their children to complete college/university in their chosen fields. Application Form.
Other External Awards
- Rotary Global Grant Scholarship
- Rotary Foundation Peace Fellowship
- Dr. Karl C. Ivarson Scholarship
- CWRA Scholarships in Water Resources
- Women's Health Scholars Award
- Autism Scholars Award
- John Charles Polanyi Prizes
- Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters
- Henry Mandelbaum Fellowship
- W. Garfield Weston Fellowship
- Rotary Global Grant Scholarship
- Douglas McRorie Memorial Scholarship
- IODE Ontario Lucy Morrison Memorial Award
- Metis Nation of Ontario Bursary
- Muskoka Summit on the Environment Research Grant
- Claudette MacKay-Lassonde Graduate Award
- Sarah Gaulin Memorial Scholarship
- Odyssey - full time work experience
- Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation of Canada Scholarship for Canadian Women
- London Goodenough Association of Canada Scholarship
- Soroptomist Bursaries
- Senior Women Academic Administrators of Canada
- IODE War Memorial Scholarship
- YWCA Hazel Fund, Education & Awareness Awards
- Henry Mandelbaum Graduate Fellowship Award
- Scholarships Canada
- yconic (previously StudentAwards.com)
- International Awards