expand search

School of Graduate Studies

A girl working on a computer smiling

School of Graduate Studies

International Applicants

Permit to Study

As an international student there are obligations that must be met in regard to allow for entry and study in Canada.

International applicants requiring a student visa to study in Canada should apply to their program at least four to six months prior to the start date. Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for processing times for study permit applications processed by visa offices outside Canada.

An International Student must present a copy of this permit to study to the School of Graduate Studies before they begin classes at the university.

For detailed information on student authorizations (permit to study) and documentation required by individuals to enter Canada to study, prospective students should consult the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website at www.cic.gc.ca

Students who may be younger than 19 years old when entering Canada to study should consult their local consulate regarding the documentation necessary to establish legal guardianship while in Canada until such time as they reach the age of 19 years old. The university cannot act as a legal guardian for a student.

Enrollment at Trent University

Additional information in regard to international student enrollment is provided as a regular part of the admissions and registration processes.

Non-Canadian students should note that the university is required to charge a differential tuition fee for all International students.

Should international students encounter problems with immigration once they are in Canada, they should contact the Trent International Program office immediately.

International Academic Documents

Post-secondary transcripts gained outside of Canada may be subject to a request to be authenticated by World Education Services (WES). Some international applicants may find it difficult to get transcripts from their previous institutions. In these cases we encourage applicants to use the verification services of an organization such as WES. Trent University will accept documents verified by WES. Once received from WES, authenticated transcripts will be assessed by the Trent University School of Graduate Studies for eligibility. Eligible applications will be evaluated by the appropriate graduate program.  All admission decisions are final; there is no appeal of admission decisions.