expand search

School of Graduate Studies

A student and a professor smiling at each other

School of Graduate Studies

International Students

In order to cover fees, books and living expenses, an international student in a graduate school in Ontario will need a minimum of $25,000 per year. If this amount is not covered by independent means or financial support from the student's own country, and if he/she is therefore in need of fellowship support, the student should be aware of the following facts. Because of government restriction on the money available, students from other countries entering Canada on study permits and proceeding to a graduate school in the province of Ontario are restricted in most cases to teaching assistantships involving no more than 10 paid hours per week.


International students who are registered in full-time study at a degree-granting post-secondary institution are permitted to work on that campus without a permit. "On-campus" is defined as employment in facilities owned, leased or rented by the educational institution. The employer can be the university, faculty, student organization or private contractor providing services to the university and operating on campus. International students have found jobs at the library, colleges (such as Summer maintenance), athletic complex, alumni office, development office, TIP office, food catering company, The Arthur (newspaper), liaison office (campus tours) and as research assistants to faculty.

You must possess a valid permit and if you have not undergone a medical examination, you may be subject to specific terms and conditions.

Before accepting any other employment in Canada (off-campus) you must obtain a permit. Normally this is granted only for a position which cannot be filled by a Canadian resident. There are some exceptions to this (e.g., students will be granted a work permit for work which is a required part of their course of study).

You may also work in an area consistent with your course of study for up to one year following graduation, but you must start within 60 days of the day final marks are released. To receive this type of permit you will require proof of eligibility to graduate, listing the course of study completed plus an offer of employment.

Spouses of full-time students are eligible to accept employment anywhere but must obtain a work permit.


Required documentation may vary from country to country. Please visit Trent International Program and Citizenship and Immigration Canada for details regarding Study Permits, Visas and other related documentation.