Your Career in Medicine Starts at Trent
Considering a career in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy or veterinary science? Trent University is the perfect place to start your journey.
We have a strong tradition of helping students build a comprehensive framework in both the arts and sciences that provides a unique advantage when applying to medical school and other professional programs.
Your Pathway to Success
- Choose Your Degree: Medical Schools are Looking for Grads of All Programs
At Trent, we pride ourselves on a strong tradition of helping students build a comprehensive framework in both the arts and sciences that provides a unique advantage when applying to medical school and other professional programs. One of the biggest myths about applying to medical schools is that a science degree is required for acceptance. This is false. In fact, it’s highly recommended for you to pursue a degree in the subject that interests you most. Medical schools in Ontario are seeking students from diverse backgrounds and in most cases do not give preference based on an applicant’s academic program, as long as the prerequisites for eligibility are met.
Medicine requires individuals with strong backgrounds in the physical sciences and life sciences, as well as the social sciences and humanities. Each professional school has their own set of requirements, looking at a combination of factors such as:
- MCAT Score
- Letters of Reference
- Personal Essays
- Achievements in leadership, research and social responsibility, including awards, conference presentations, publications and scholarships
- Enhance Your Degree: Pursue the Medical Professional Stream and Add a Pre-Medical Option
- Medical Professional Stream - NEW for 2017
The new Medical Professional Stream is a unique program designed for students striving to pursue a medical professional program such as dentistry, medicine, veterinary or pharmacy upon graduating from Trent with an undergraduate degree. This stream is designed to give you a unique advantage by providing you with the academic and non-academic foundations that will best prepare you to complete professional program examinations, applications and interviews.
Pre-Medical Option - NEW for 2017
Looking to apply to med school or another medical professional program post-graduation? Consider specializing your Trent degree further by adding the Pre-Medical option. Compliment virtually any B.A or B.Sc. degree with this new emphasis option that will help prepare you for a future in a medical profession by developing a well-rounded skill set; a significant advantage when it comes time to prep for examinations like the MCAT or DAT. Building on Trent's flexible, interdisciplinary academic programs, this emphasis can be added to virtually any Trent degree and students will have the opportunity to choose courses to complete this unique emphasis from across the sciences, social sciences (including Indigenous Studies), arts and humanities, and business and economics.
- Medical Professional Stream - NEW for 2017
For more information on the above programs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Trent Advantage
Trent’s students are competitive in applying to medical school because of the faculty commitment to teaching and mentoring undergrads, smaller class sizes, and the interactive hands-on approach to learning that is at the core of the Trent experience. Your professors will know you, support you, and ensure that you get the experience you need to apply to graduate or professional schools with confidence.
Trent students benefit from:
- Unparalleled undergraduate research opportunities
- Internships and valuable real-world experience in health-care related settings
- Multidisciplinary collaborations across the arts and sciences
- Laboratory experience starting in your first year
- A personalized learning environment with faculty who know you on an individual basis and care about your success
Trent’s undergraduate science programs are an excellent choice if you plan to pursue a professional degree like Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary, Pharmacy or Medical Laboratory Sciences, and will provide room for you to take the prerequisites necessary for admission to professional school.
Your Next Steps
- Browse Trent’s complete listing of undergraduate programs or explore these popular “pre-med” programs:
- Biomedical Science B.Sc.
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology B.Sc.
- Biology B.Sc.
- Chemistry B.Sc.
- Bachelor of Arts & Science
- Forensic Science
- Contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1-888-739-8885 if you have any questions
- Apply to Trent as soon as possible to improve your chances of being accepted to the program of your choice.
- Book a campus tour, and come see for yourself why Trent is the #1 undergraduate university in Ontario