University Seeking Proposals for a Developer to Guide Next Phases of Student Housing Strategy
Trent University is moving forward with the next phase of a proposed student housing project on Trent’s Symons Campus.
Following a market-sounding exercise the University undertook with Ernst and Young Orenda Corporate Finance Inc., requests for proposals will open on August 26 for the construction and design of new student housing.
The University is seeking proposals for a phased construction project:
- PHASE ONE: The construction of a new college and residence building on the east bank adjacent to the Science Complex. The new building will include residences, common areas, lounges and kitchen spaces on each floor, recreational space, and small and large study rooms. Additional spaces being considered include food services facilities, classrooms, collegiate space, lecture halls, and retail areas.
- PHASE TWO: The revitalization and re-construction of the Otonabee College (OC) residence. This latter part of the project will allow the University to create an accessible OC student residence, enhance programs and services to support student experience, and expand our student residence capacity in the same footprint of the existing Otonabee residence. The current residence has 387 beds; the plan is to increase to between 400 - 600 beds with new common areas including lounges, kitchens and study rooms.
The chosen developer will oversee both phases, the construction of the new college and the phase that includes the revitalization and re-construction of the residences at Otonabee College.
Timeline and Process:
- June 2023: The request for proposal process will wrap up in June 2023, with community consultations to follow on the design for the new college residence. Subsequently, the design consultations and rebuild of the new Otonabee College residence will take place.
- September 2027: It is anticipated that the new college and residence building on the East Bank will open in September 2027.
- Spring/Summer 2027: Otonabee College residence is slated to close temporarily for the spring/ summer of 2027 and reopen after construction is complete (with a target date of 2029). This will allow the University to continue to meet student demand for residence (and our first-year guarantee) and enhance programs and services that add to the Trent student experience.
This marks an exciting opportunity to improve and expand the University’s residences and add a new college to enhance on-campus experiences for our growing student body on our Peterborough campus.
Questions about this project can be addressed to the Office of the Vice President of Finance & Administration at email@example.com.
Posted on September 22, 2022