ENGLISH FOR TEACHER TRAINING
Both new and experienced English language instructors will benefit from this professional development course to enhance their own English language skills, as well as the quality of the teaching and learning they provide in their home classrooms.
Through a content-language integrated learning approach, this 4 week, online program will help English teachers to expand their professional repertoire and portfolio. Qualified, professional faculty train teachers to enhance their instruction through the full range of language skill areas.
THE ONLINE ADVANTAGE
Trent University is committed to providing the best possible online learning experience. As an accredited member of Languages Canada, Trent’s ESL programs exceed Canadian standards for excellence in language program delivery.
Study English for Business & Entrepreneurship from anywhere in the world! Benefit from Trent’s outstanding faculty, specialized curriculum, professional context relevance, and extracurricular online programs available to Trent students.
Make the Trent ESL English for Business & Entrepreneurship Certificate Program the highlight of your summer.
CLASSES & DATES
60 hrs total instruction
2 sessions offered in Summer 2020:
- July 6-31, 2020
- August 4-28, 2020
English Teacher Training Modules
This professional development course, developed by Trent ESL faculty, uses a content-language integrated learning framework to create a meta English teaching professional development experience. The content comes from themes related to ESL instruction, and the language instruction encompasses the four skills, plus grammar and vocabulary. The course is composed of these lessons and topics:
- Philosophy of language education
- Receptive skills: reading and listening
- Productive skills: writing and speaking
- Evaluating English language learners
- English for specific purposes
- Educational technology in language teaching and learning
The program makes use of a range of media sources ranging from big-picture issues in education to bespoke presentations by ESL practitioners on specific topics, and texts from academic journals and reputable ESL publications. Praxis is a major focus throughout as participants are encouraged to reflect on and develop their own ESL classroom practices.
- Interactive, engaging online lessons – study anywhere in the world!
- Content and language integrated learning
- Structured lessons, taught by highly qualified and experienced Trent-ESL instructors
- Languages Canada member program
- Online pricing delivers excellent value for a university program
- Learn with students from other parts of the world without leaving your home!
- July 2020 session and August 2020 session
- Successful program completion may lead to acceptance into Trent’s ESL Academic Pathway programs and continued academic studies at Trent University
Why choose Trent ESL’s English Teacher Training Program?
“Trent ESL’s English Teacher Training Program offers English Language Pedagogy Certification in response to the growing global demand for high-quality English language instructors who themselves use English as a subsequent language. The program immerses qualified instructors in an English environment where they examine teaching and learning methodologies and expand their repertoire of teaching skills and language together.”
Cath D'Amico, MA
Director, Trent International
- English proficiency placement at beginning of program
- ESL program (15 hours of class per week) with enthusiastic, skilled instructors, including access to materials
- English for Teacher Training Certificate
- Access to online extracurricular programs available to all Trent students
Note there is no required English proficiency level to enter the program; for students to have the greatest benefit from the program, the recommended level is IELTS 5.0.
FEES PER STUDENT
4-week online program: $2100 CAD
Applications for JULY session due May 15.
Applications for AUGUST session due June 15.
50% payment deposit is required by application deadline.
Full payment required prior to start date of program.