Professional Development for Language Instructors
Information for Partners & Agents for Groups and Cohorts
English Language Pedagogy Certificate Program
This four-week English Pedagogy program, designed for both new and experienced English language instructors, offers professional development to enhance teaching and learning, in an immersion environment. Participants will engage in a dynamic learning experience that combines language, culture, learning, and community in a stunning campus environment at Trent University in Peterborough, Canada.
Through a content-language integrated learning approach, this experiential program will help English teachers to expand their professional repertoire and portfolio. Qualified, professional faculty trains teachers to enhance their instruction through the full range of language skill areas.
Trent ESL is located on Trent University’s beautiful Symon’s Campus along the banks of the Otonabee River in Peterborough, Ontario. The natural setting of Trent’s 1400 acres of trees, open fields, streams, and lush forest provides a unique learning and recreational environment.
Peterborough, among one of the friendliest cities in Canada, is a wonderful place to live, learn, and gain memorable experiences. Living with homestay hosts carefully selected by our partner, Canada Homestay Network, participants can always feel safe, and with Toronto only 90 minutes away, enjoying the big city experience is easy.
Make the Trent ESL English Language Pedagogy Certificate Program the highlight of your summer.
Why Trent ESL Professional Development for Teachers?
“ Trent ESL’s Professional Development Program offers English Language Pedagogy Certification in response to the growing global demand for high-quality English language instructors who themselves use English as a subsequent language. The program immerses qualified instructors in an English environment where they examine teaching and learning methodologies and expand their repertoire of teaching skills and language together. ”
Cath D'Amico, MA
Director, Trent International
English Language Pedagogy Program Modules
This professional development course, developed by Trent ESL faculty, uses a Content-Language Integrated Learning framework to create a Meta English teaching professional development experience. The content comes from themes related to ESL instruction, and the language instruction encompasses the four skills, plus grammar and vocabulary. The course is composed of these modules and topics:
- Understanding language learners
- Curriculum, course, and lesson design
- Philosophy of Language Education
- Language and Culture
- Receptive skills: Reading and Listening
- Productive skills: Writing and Speaking
- Evaluating English language learners
- English for Specific Purposes
- Educational technology in language teaching and learning
The program makes use of a range of media sources ranging from big-picture issues in Education to bespoke presentations by ESL practitioners on specific topics, and texts from academic journals and reputable ESL publications. Praxis is a major focus throughout as participants are encouraged to reflect on and develop their own ESL classroom practices.
Completion of a degree from an accredited institution
Minimum English proficiency:
- IELTS: 6.0 overall, with a 6.0 in writing
- TOEFL IBT: 80
- TOEFL PBT: 550
- CAEL 55 - 59
- DUOLINGO: 105
- Minimum 75% in Trent-ESL: Academic English 1
Start/End Date (4 weeks, 15 hrs/wk)
|Session 1 - July||Session 2- August|
|Student Arrival||July 3||July 31|
|1st Day of Program||July 4||August 2|
|Last Day of Program||July 29||August 26|
|Student Departure||July 30||August 27|
Fees (4 weeks)
- Residence Option: $ 5,275.00
- Homestay Option: $ 3,600.00
- Program Only Option (no accommodation or meals) $ 2,620.00
Program fees include:
- return shuttle (Pearson to Trent)
- application and registration fees
- activities programming
- graduation ceremony
- program certificate
Does not include excursions outside of Peterborough: Excursion Fees will be released once we have pricing/fees from destination/attraction sales teams. They will start from $150 per trip and include transportation, one attraction, and two meals.
- Deposit of $1000 CAD required at time of registration
- Full payment due by May 1, 2022 (or prior to the start date of any program)
- Late payments are subject to a $75 CAD fee
Cancellations and reductions in registrations must be made in writing and are subject to the following:
- Before January 31st - a refund will be granted for Sessions less the session deposit (as outlined above) per session/registrant
- Between January 31st and April 30th - both the session deposit (see above) and cancellation fee of $200
- No refunds shall be given after May 1st - Cancellations after this date will result in complete forfeiture of program fees (all payments are non-refundable and nontransferable). No refund, reduction of fees or credit will be granted for late arrival, early departure, withdrawal, or dismissal.