English, Leadership, and Community
Information for Partners & Agents for Groups and Cohorts
English, Leadership, and Community Certificate Program
The English, Leadership, and Community program is a 4-week language immersion program where students will develop themselves in both English language and personal perspective. By learning in and with an authentic Canadian community, the students can learn from the experiences and perspectives of others, and sharpen their community leadership and decision making skills through the program. In addition, graduates of the program earn a scholarship for future study at Trent University.
Join a rich and engaging learning environment to enhance your English and leadership skills:
- Learn the language of leadership thinking
- Expand your leadership skills
- Increase your self-awareness
- Gain confidence in communicating in English
- Develop your proficiency in all English language skill areas
- Interact with a group of committed participants
- Engage with a skilled facilitator and instructor
Trent ESL is located on Trent University’s beautiful Symon’s Campus along the banks of the Otonabee River in Peterborough, Ontario. The natural setting of Trent’s 1400 acres of trees, open fields, streams, and lush forest provides a unique learning and recreational environment.
Peterborough, among one of the friendliest cities in Canada, is a wonderful place to live, learn, and gain memorable experiences. Living with homestay hosts carefully selected by our partner, Canada Homestay Network, participants can always feel safe, and with Toronto only 90 minutes away, enjoying the big city experience is easy.
Make the English, Leadership, and Community program the highlight of your summer.
Language Skills Development
- All language skill areas included: reading, writing, listening, speaking, pronunciation, grammar, and vocabulary
- Learn strategies for developing each skill area
- Apply your language skills to group discussions, presentations, projects and more
- Express your leadership style in English
- Develop your leadership lexicon in English
- Modern classrooms and facilities
- Experiential learning outside classroom: visiting local community and regional leaders
- Qualified, professional and experienced instructors
- Opportunities for sightseeing
- Delivery by Trent ESL, an accredited Languages Canada member program since 2007
|Session 1 - July||Session 2- August|
|Student Arrival||July 3||July 31|
|1st Day of Program||July 4||August 2|
|Last Day of Program||July 29||August 26|
|Student Departure||July 30||August 27|
Fees (4 weeks)
- Residence Option: $ 5,275.00
- Homestay Option: $ 3,600.00
- Program Only Option (no accommodation or meals) $ 2,620.00
Program fees include:
- return shuttle (Pearson to Trent)
- application and registration fees
- activities programming
- graduation ceremony
- program certificate
Does not include excursions outside of Peterborough: Excursion Fees will be released once we have pricing/fees from destination/attraction sales teams. They will start from $150 per trip and include transportation, one attraction, and two meals.
- Deposit of $1000 CAD required at time of registration
- Full payment due by May 1, 2022 (or prior to the start date of any program)
- Late payments are subject to a $75 CAD fee
Cancellations and reductions in registrations must be made in writing and are subject to the following:
- Before January 31st - a refund will be granted for Sessions less the session deposit (as outlined above) per session/registrant
- Between January 31st and April 30th - both the session deposit (see above) and cancellation fee of $200
- No refunds shall be given after May 1st - Cancellations after this date will result in complete forfeiture of program fees (all payments are non-refundable and nontransferable). No refund, reduction of fees or credit will be granted for late arrival, early departure, withdrawal, or dismissal.