English for Health Care
Information for Partners & Agents for Groups and Cohorts
English for Health Care Certificate Program
The English for Health Care program is a 4-week language immersion program where students will professionalize their English language skills in the medical and health care jargon and at the same time learn about the Canadian health care system in context. This program uses lab facilities on campus from Trent University’s Medical Pathway and Nursing programs, and local community facilities to offer a comprehensive look at language in the Canadian health care sector.
Through a content-language integrated learning approach, this experiential program will help health care professionals to expand their language within the medical context and broaden their understanding of the Canadian health care system.
Trent ESL is located on Trent University’s beautiful Symon’s Campus along the banks of the Otonabee River in Peterborough, Ontario. The natural setting of Trent’s 1400 acres of trees, open fields, streams, and lush forest provides a unique learning and recreational environment.
Peterborough, among one of the friendliest cities in Canada, is a wonderful place to live, learn, and gain memorable experiences. Living with homestay hosts carefully selected by our partner, Canada Homestay Network, participants can always feel safe, and with Toronto only 90 minutes away, enjoying the big city experience is easy.
Make the Trent ESL English for Health Care Certificate Program the highlight of your summer.
Why Choose Trent ESL?
Testimonials from participants
“I really liked this course because it helped me to improve my English language skills. The instructor showed us her skills and knowledge in the subjects.”
“What I Iiked the most about this course was the match between learning the four skills of this language along with medical content. I really enjoyed what the instructor taught us regarding writing in academic style. I am happy that I will go back to Mexico and I will be able to use this particular knowledge when it comes to school assignments. ”
“The course was amazing, I learned a lot of things about Health Science. The online material is very interesting, I loved the videos and the instructor is great. She taught me new vocabulary, pronunciation and helped me to improve my English skills.”
- Experiential learning outside the classroom: visiting local health care facilities and meeting local health care professionals
- Content and language integrated learning in English for Health Sciences classes
- Qualified, professional and experienced instructors
- Opportunities for sightseeing
- Delivery by Trent ESL, an accredited Languages Canada member program since 2007
English for Health Care topics may include:
- Patient Care
- Controversy in Medicine
- Preventative Care
- Mental Health
- Documentation in Health Care
Start/End Date (4 weeks, 15 hrs/wk)
|Session 1 - July||Session 2- August|
|Student Arrival||July 3||July 31|
|1st Day of Program||July 4||August 2|
|Last Day of Program||July 29||August 26|
|Student Departure||July 30||August 27|
Fees (4 weeks)
- Residence Option: $ 5,275.00
- Homestay Option: $ 3,600.00
- Program Only Option (no accommodation or meals) $ 2,620.00
Program fees include:
- return shuttle (Pearson to Trent)
- application and registration fees
- activities programming
- graduation ceremony
- program certificate
Does not include excursions outside of Peterborough: Excursion Fees will be released once we have pricing/fees from destination/attraction sales teams. They will start from $150 per trip and include transportation, one attraction, and two meals.
- Deposit of $1000 CAD required at time of registration
- Full payment due by May 1, 2022 (or prior to the start date of any program)
- Late payments are subject to a $75 CAD fee
Cancellations and reductions in registrations must be made in writing and are subject to the following:
- Before January 31st - a refund will be granted for Sessions less the session deposit (as outlined above) per session/registrant
- Between January 31st and April 30th - both the session deposit (see above) and cancellation fee of $200
- No refunds shall be given after May 1st - Cancellations after this date will result in complete forfeiture of program fees (all payments are non-refundable and nontransferable). No refund, reduction of fees or credit will be granted for late arrival, early departure, withdrawal, or dismissal.