Resources for Current Students
This page is dedicated to current students: TSE course and registration information, degree requirements, and help with searching out environmental information and developing skills.
- TSE Course Information for Undergraduates
- Program Course Material
- Booking a TSE Lab & Borrowing Equipment
- Degree Requirements and Program Planning
- Environmental Information Research Sources
- Student Skills Development
- Finding Environmental Employment & Volunteer Opportunities
- Health & Safety Information
Trent University is committed to the highest standards of ethical practice in research. Central to the principles that guide research is that it must be conducted in accordance with the highest contemporary ethics standards. The Office of Research manages the approval and monitoring process for the use of humans, animals, and biohazardous materials in research at the University.
Please refer to the Office of Research website for more information on Trent's ethical policies and requirements for research.
Experiential Learning & Undergraduate Research
Students interested in learning more about experiential learning and undergraduate research opportunities offered by the TSE including field courses, community-based research courses, reading courses, internship & placement courses and honours thesis courses are encouraged to visit the Experiential Learning & Undergraduate Research page.
Introduction to GIS (GEOG-ERSC 2090H) Computer Requirements
A notice for students enrolling in the GEOG-ERSC 2090H Introduction to GIS web-based course running in the 2021 winter term (January 6 - April 30, 2021). This course requires use of the software ArcGIS Pro. Please visit the Introduction to GIS (GEOG-ERSC 2090H) Computer Requirements page to learn more about the computer requirements to run and how to access this software.
Refer to the materials provided by the course instructor, including the course syllabus. If your course uses Blackboard then refer there for current course materials. Also feel free to consult with your course instructors- they are there to help you.
Program staff Dorothy Howard and Robert Loney are also available to assist with technical and conceptual problems and course material, especially in the courses they each support, but also in other courses.
Contact the Director of the TSE, Shaun Watmough or any of the Program staff.
- Bata Library (Trent University)
- Electronic Databases (alphabetical list)
- E-Journals Search (Electronic or On-Line Journals) The full text of several journals are now available on-line. See the journal list below.
- Trent University Archives The archives is "a repository for archival materials relating to the Trent Valley area in general and to Trent University in particular"
Other Local and Regional Libraries
- Southern Ontario Public Library Service (includes links to Public Library web sites)
- Peterborough Public Library
- Selwyn Public Library (in Bridgenorth and Lakefield, formerly Smith-Ennismore-Lakefield Public Library)
- Otonabee-South Monaghan Public Library
- Cavan Monaghan Libraries (Millbrook & Cavan)
Trent University's Academic Skills Centre is an excellent resource. They teach in groups and one-on-one, and provide guidance on a variety of skills, including essay and scientific writing, math, and searching for information. Another good source of help is Trent University's Bata Library, which provides resources and workshops on how to search for and organize information and how to reference, among other topics.
Visit the Skills Development web page for some help with various skills, from working in a group to statistics, to using specific software, to referencing and more.
Visit our Careers & Alumni page for a listing of where degrees can lead to in employment. Also visit Additional Connections/Resources for a listing of Trent-specific environmental groups, and follow us on social media for news postings and current opportunities.
Health & Safety training programs, including 'Science Safety' for working in labs, can be found on the Trent University Health & Safety page.