James Middleton Essay Prize in the Humanities
James Middleton Essay Prize in the Humanities 2019-20
Two $600 prizes are awarded annually for outstanding essays by students in their second or third year of study who are pursuing Honours degrees in Ancient Greek & Roman Studies, English Literature, History, or Philosophy.
The prizes rotate between Ancient Greek & Roman Studies and Philosophy in one year, and History and English Literature in the next.
For the 2019-2020 academic year, the two prizes will be awarded to students in English and Hitory.
For the 2020-2021 academic year, the two prizes will be awarded to students in Ancient Greek & Roman Studies and Philosophy.
- Student’s original work from the current academic year, or in the case of a 3rd year student, from either the current or 2nd year
- Essays may also be written specifically for this competition
- Minimum 2,500 words in length
- 12-point type and single-spaced
- Essays will be judged on the following basis: ability to transmit knowledge to a general audience, writing quality and style, clarity of presentation and argument, scholarship, and originality
Deadline: April 30, 2020
All submissions must be sent electronically to email@example.com from the student’s Trent e-mail account.
Essays must contain a separate cover page with the essay title, student name, ID, Trent e-mail address, and degree program.
If you have any questions regarding this prize, please contact one of the following department chairs: Ancient History & Classics, English Literature, History, or Philosophy.