Master of Education in Educational Studies
*** Applications to the M.Ed. program after 1st February will still be considered.
If all necessary information is submitted by the 14th February, your application will be included in our initial application review process. For these applications we aim is to inform students by the 15th March on the status of their application. These have priority when allocating advisors.
Applications received after 14th February will be reviewed and assessed on a first-come first-served basis, in the likely event that we still have some capacity. Allocation of successful applicants at this stage will depend on the availability of appropriate supervising members of faculty. ***
Whether you work in education or industry, community or public service, it is vital to understand how teaching and learning operate. How do you build learning environments that encourage rigour, creativity and care? Have you considered how issues such as power, belonging, motivation, culture, and leadership a ect organizational and per- sonal experience? The Master of Education at Trent offers graduate students the opportunity to explore educational theory and research. We hope to guide you in gaining the critical insights needed for transformative practice.
The Master of Education is an ideal degree for careers such as teaching, educational administration, higher education, healthcare, environmental organizations, social work, business, psychology and community learning. Because the Master of Education can be utilized in a variety of settings, it is a valuable degree for today’s dynamic workforce.
About the Program
The M.Ed. in Educational Studies (Part-time) program is deeply aligned with Trent University’s mission, offering a truly interdisciplinary approach to educational studies. This interdisciplinary focus combined with a critical theory approach, a commitment to Indigenous education and a focus on social and ecological justice, make this program unique. The courses and research committees are designed to foster collaboration across a number of disciplines, theoretical perspectives and frameworks. Students will draw on the expertise of core faculty from education and a range of other departments, such as business administration, Canadian studies, English literature, Indigenous studies, history and psychology.
Trent’s School of Education and Professional Learning has a successful history of encouraging the development of its students through small-group teaching. Our commitment to fostering intellectual exchange and mentoring through face-to-face course delivery will provide personalized and transformative educational experiences. Students will also be encouraged to engage with the community outside the classroom and participate in colloquia and conferences, a distinctive feature of Trent’s scholarly ethos.
The M.Ed. program not only gears itself towards professionals in the field of education, but also those who wish to pursue academic and leadership careers in fields with related educational foci, such as medical or nursing education, environmental education, intersecting areas of psychology and education, and social work.
Obtaining an M.Ed.:
- Enhance your career opportunities.
- Provide insights into effective education. An M.Ed. is a practical qualification that can be used in a variety of environments to provide insight into more effective educational techniques resulting in real improvements in education and job satisfaction.
- Prepare you for educational leadership. For example, within a school environment, obtaining a M.Ed. can lead to moving into a specialist position or leadership role, such as vice-principal or principal.
- Open different career paths. By specializing in a particular area of interest, such as Indigenous education or curriculum planning, new opportunities can open up.
- Enable you to pursue an area of interest to you. Choosing the thesis route will enable you to practice your research skills with the support of a supervisor and committee. It is excellent preparation for work-place research or study for a Ph.D.
Trent’s M.Ed. courses are on-site so you get the benefit of working closely with other students and you have quality interactions with the instructors.