Scope of Practice
Trent Durham Counselling Services
Counselling Services provides short-term, goal directed counselling to support student academic and personal success.
Some experiences and situations may be beyond what we can offer. We will work with you to identify the most effective level of care and connect you to the appropriate community resource.
Examples when a referral may be required include:
- Students who require intensive and/or long-term outpatient or inpatient treatment (for example, impairing eating disorders, safety concerns, and other complex mental health)
- Students seeking mandated treatment
- Students seeking formal psychological assessments (for example, for learning disabilities or ADHD), diagnosis, and/or medication management
- Students who require crisis intervention; or who consistently need service
- Students who are already receiving ongoing therapy with another mental health provider
- Students who require counselling to meet an academic requirement, or are interested in counselling solely to gain clinical experience