A place to share stories, build resources, and find social connections.
The page is designed to provide students with an outlet for connection, creativity, and interaction. This page is always being updated and added to so check back regularly.
Want to see something on this page or provide feedback, suggestions, and stories? Email email@example.com.
The TrentU Durham Student Blog is a great place to share stories and hear the latest from other students. Feel free to submit your own!
The Student Engagement Team has suggested several great places to find interesting things on the internet including videos and blogs which can be found below:
- National Film Board of Canada - Stream NFB films, documentaries, series and animation for free.
- Cirque du Soleil - Content hub to showcase shows and specials from Cirque du Soleil.
- National Theatre - Showcasing theatre shows online.
- ROM Online Exhibitions - Royal Ontario Museum provides access to their online exhibits.
- Ripley's Aquarium Live Feed - Ripley's in Toronto is showcasing a live feed of their Shark Tank.
- Toronto Zoo Live Feed - See a live feed of the various areas of the Zoo on their Facebook page.
- Good Mythical Morning - an online comedy talk show featuring games, experiments, and product testing.
- The TRY Channel - videos featuring Irish comedy by reacting to weird things on the Internet.
Want to listen to an uplifting playlist from Spotify? Student Life Coordinator, Chris Nelan, has created a super positive playlist just for you!
Like great books, some songs start soft and easy but go big with a huge crescendo at the end. This is that playlist.
Looking for some throwbacks to your favourite movie themes? Play this one and see if you can guess the themes without looking.
Here is a Spotify playlist that you can listen to, to get through the quarantine.
Looking for something to do? Here are a number of resources available to do with your friends, virtually!
- Board Game Arena - A fun place to play board games online with your friends.
- Drawful 2 - The game of terrible drawings and hilariously wrong answers. (Jackbox is giving away this game for free on Steam until April 10th.)
- Kahoot! - A game-based platform for many different things including trivia. Host your own trivia with friends!
- PlayingCards.io - A platform to play a variety of card games with your friends. Your screens are the live table.
- Catan Universe - Play Settlers of Catan with your friends!
- Sporcle - Thousands of free online trivia quizzes.
- Beat Maker - Put together your own beat loops.
- Dominion Online - Play the popular board game Dominion online with friends.
- Cards Against Humanity - Free print-and-play family edition.
- Remote Insensitivity - Free online version of game similar to Cards Against Humanity.
There are several resources found online to promote mental health and positive mindfulness.
- Using Social Media to Benefit Mental Health - Part of the BounceBack program at the Canadian Mental Health Association.
- Mindful.org - A webpage dedicated to mindfulness and wellbeing with many great resources for meditation, health, and pandemic specific support articles.
- Sleeping Well in Times of Stress - From the Sleep, Health, and Wellness Lab in Newfoundland.
The TrentU Durham GTA Athletics team wants to share many great places to find support for workouts, nutrition, and physical health.
- YMCA-GTA Facebook Page - Posting live workouts and resources to stay active and healthy at home.
- Nike Training Club - The app and programs are now available free to all users. Includes workouts, nutrition, and expert advice.
- Down Dog Apps - A collection of yoga and workout apps that are available for free on the App Store and Google Play.
- BodyCoach TV - Physical education and exercises with Joe Wicks.
There are several ways to help cope with the stress and anxiety of isolation during this time.
- Coronavirus Anxiety - An article from HelpGuide with information on how to cope with stress, fear, and anxiety.
- CAMH Coping with Stress and Anxiety - There are several strategies available to help you maintain your mental wellness.
- Stress and Coping - The CDC (Centre for Disease Control and Prevention) offers a great deal of resources regarding coronavirus support.
It's a new term for 2020 but also a lifestyle change that we all need to practice now and in the future. Here are some tips to help with keeping a social distance.
- Physical Distancing Fact Sheet - The Government of Canada provides information on what this means and how to practice.
- Practicing Physical Distance - The City of Toronto has shared several ways to socially distance ourselves.
A place to find information relating to emergency response, national updates, and Trent related news.
- Health Canada Website - Covid-19 Information - All information relating to Covid-19 in Canada.
- Health Canada - Covid-19 Economic Response Plan - Financial assistance information for those who have been affected.
- TrentU Covid-19 Information - All information related to Trent's response and operations around Covid-19.
There are several resources available online to help guide you in working from home and learning online.
- TrentU Durham Library - Whether you're researching a new topic, finding primary resources, or using the Library's online databases for the first time, we can help you save time and get the most out of the Library's resources. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance and more information.
- Ishkodehwin Live - First Peoples House of Learning and the Ishkodehwin Peer Mentors are bringing the Social Fire to you. We are welcoming all current Trent Indigenous students to meet here and uplift each other in this virtual community.
- Take Control of Working From Home - a free e-book by Glenn Fleishman on how to properly set up your space and work effectively in your new surroundings.
- Essential Tips for Working From Home - a CTV news article on what you can do to be successful.
- 20 Tips for Working From Home - PCmag offers some helpful advice on how to create a working space at home.
- What Makes a Successful Online Learner - Here you will find 7 great tips on how to be more successful with your digital courses.
- 4 Common Challenges to Online Learning - Identifying issues that students may face through online learning and steps to support success.
Looking for things for children to do from home? Check out these great sites:
- Khan Academy - Video tutorials on math, sciences, history, and grammar.. Math covers kindergarten to university levels including scheduled live lessons.
- National Geographic Kids - Learn about different regions by country and by wildlife with 360 videos, photo collections, and information on different cultures.
- Education.com - Learning games are free for levels K-5. Games cover topics such as math, reading/writing, typing, and coding. Extra features available during the school closures.
- Cool Math Games - A great tool for practicing mental math.
- Audible - Providing children’s audio books for free during the school closures.
- Google Arts and Culture - Take a field trip from home with virtual tours of museums, heritage sites, and other faraway places.
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit - The Federal government is providing temporary income support. Check the requirements and apply here.
- Smart Serve Training - Smart Serve is offering free training for the month of April.