Humanities 101 at Trent University Durham is an 8-week, not-for-credit multi-disciplinary course offering classes in humanities and social sciences. Students will attend classes each week for two hours (one hour of lecture and one hour of seminar-style discussion). Each week will bring a new topic and new instructor.
The intent of the program is to provide access to higher education to those in the Durham Region who might face barriers – either financial or otherwise and also to provide our community with opportunities for lifelong learning.
The courses are taught by Professors who volunteer their time and the administration is coordinated by a team of dedicated Trent staff.
Humanities 101 is free to all those enrolled and is offered each Fall at Trent University Durham.
Fall 2018: Course Dates and Topics
Mondays, 6:30pm - 8:30pm October 22nd - December 10th
Trent University Durham, 55 Thornton Road South, Oshawa - Room 106
Weekly topics and presenters:
- Monday, October 22nd - Professor and topic to be announced
- Monday, October 29th - Professor Brenda Smith-Chant (Psychology) Psychology: A focus on the mind is never a thing to waste
- Monday, November 5th - Professor Daniel Harris (Philosophy) Does who we are Affect how we Reason?
- Monday, November 12th -Professor and topic to be announced
- Monday, November 19th - Professor and topic to be announced
- Monday, November 26th - Professor and topic to be announced
- Monday, December 3rd - Professor and topic to be announced
- Monday, December 10th - Professor Rita Bode (English Literature) 'Dickens' A Christmas Carol' - Celebration ceremony and certificate presentation
Student Supports and Items Provided to Humanities 101 Registered Students:
Childcare expense ($25 per evening for those who require supplement)
- Writing materials provided
- Trent library card
- Transit coverage (bus)
Interested in Becoming a Humanities 101 Student?
For you to become involved with Humanities 101 as a student, a community service agency must recommend you to the program.
For more information, please contact:
Phone: 905-435-5102 x5005
Phone: 905-435-5102 x5022