Trent Language Buddies
About the Program
We are looking for participants for the summer 2021 term! We run an 8-week program from June to July.
Trent Language Buddies provides ESL students with an opportunity to build confidence, practice their conversational English skills, learn about other cultures, develop interpersonal skills, and make new friendships! It provides volunteers with the opportunity to learn more about cultures different from their own and support Trent-ESL students throughout their journey in gaining confidence with their English language skills!
One or two students, who have English as an additional language, are matched with a volunteer. Trent Language Buddies commit to meeting for one hour each week of the term and are responsible for scheduling the time to meet. Trent-ESL provides a guidebook that includes weekly topics that Trent Language Buddies can choose to follow or potential activities to engage in. Additionally, Trent-ESL will host a hang-out for all language buddies at the end of each term! The program runs from September to December, January to April, and June to July.
Some activities could be:
- Attending virtual sessions together and having a follow-up discussion
- Hosting a virtual coffee hour
- Participating in a cultural festival or holiday together
- Watching a tv show and having follow up discussion
Benefits of Trent Language Buddies
- The benefit of having a language buddy rather than a teacher is, it allows ESL students a safe space to make a personal connection and share culture and language more informally.
- ESL students can easily develop confidence and fluency in speaking English.
- It is a great opportunity to practice skills for future careers such as working abroad and teaching.
- It provides opportunities to build friendships.
- It helps the volunteers to develop social diplomacy.
- Volunteers and participants will receive a certificate of acknowledgement at the end of the program.
Responsibilities for Both Volunteers and ESL Students
- Meet for a minimum of an hour a week.
- Ensure an appropriate time arrangement (be mindful of the time zone differences).
- Schedule meetings ahead of time.
- Be aware of and respectful of cultural differences.
- Select a method of communicating that is comfortable for both (Zoom, phone, WhatsApp, etc.)
Trent University students whose native language is not English and who are in the Trent ESL program. Trent ESL students who would like to practice their conversational English skills, build confidence speaking in English, and gain an opportunity for cross-cultural exchange.
We are always accepting Trent ESL students to this program.
Join the Program as a Trent ESL Student
Trent Student Volunteer:
Trent University students with a strong command of the English language and who would like to support Trent-ESL Students to gain confidence speaking in English, learn more about other cultures, and explore Canadian cultural norms through English conversation and activities.
We are currently accepting volunteer applications for the Winter 2021 term!
Apply to the Program as a Volunteer
If you have questions about the Trent Language Buddies Program, contact Trent-ESL at email@example.com.