Trent Safe Arrival Protocol
Making a Plan to Arrive Safely in Canada
New Travel Measures
On February 12, the Federal Government announced enhanced protocols to discourage non-essential travel to help limit the spread of COVID-19 and its variants. These new regulations apply to international students. You can either choose to enter Canada at this time or wait until the regulations are lifted in the future. You can start or continue your studies online, and time spent studying will count towards your Post-Grad Work Permit eligibility.
Travellers must still provide proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test taken up to 72 hours before their scheduled departure time.
As of February 21, 2021, at 11:59 pm ET, travellers, unless exempted, will also be required to:
- reserve a government-authorized hotel for 3 nights prior to departure to Canada
- take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival in Canada
- stay in the government-authorized hotel while awaiting the results of the COVID-19 molecular test taken on arrival
- pay for the cost of the hotel stay, as well as all associated costs for:
- infection prevention and control measures
Travellers must present proof of having reserved and pre-paid for their accommodation through ArriveCAN. There is an estimated cost of $2000 CAD for this requirement. Travellers will still be required to complete the remainder of the mandatory 14-day quarantine at their pre-approved quarantine location after their mandatory hotel stay. The list of government-authorized hotels is now available.
Prior to departure to Canada, you must complete the following requirements (UPDATED March 3, 2021):
Prior to departure to Canada, you must complete the following requirements. These requirements should be completed 2 weeks prior to arrival:
- First, please find the Trent Safe Arrival Protocol attached here (updated March 3, 2021). Read it thoroughly and understand regulations, expectations, and options. The Trent Safe Arrival Protocol provides details of your options to arrive safely in Canada as a Trent University student.
- Obtain a COVID-19 molecular test 72 hours before your scheduled flight.
- Book your mandatory hotel for a 3-night stay upon arrival. Trent University has partnered with the Holiday Inn Toronto Airport East for quarantine options.
- Register in advance for your arrival test.
- Determine your quarantine plan for the remaining days in the 14-day quarantine. Regulations for a suitable place of quarantine can be found here.
- Border agents may request supporting enrolment documentation, either a valid Letter of Admission (LOA) or a Letter of Enrolment. If your LOA is expired, request Letter of Enrolment on the MyTrent Portal> Academics >International>International Undergraduate Letter Request; Graduate students, email email@example.com to request a Letter of Enrolment.
- Ensure you have adequate health insurance coverage the day of your arrival. You can apply for your UHIP E-card on your MyTrent Portal > Support > Health and Wellness > UHIP E-card request. More information can be found in the Trent Safe Arrival Protocol
- Ensure you have pre-arranged private transit arrangements (shuttle, private taxi, private transit with friend or family member) prior to departure to Canada. More information can be found in the Trent Safe Arrival Protocol
- Submit your quarantine plan to the Trent University Quarantine Plan Registry. Trent students planning on entering Canada must register their plan in the Trent University Quarantine Plan Registry. The registry is mandatory for all Trent University students entering Canada from abroad. This information allows us to help prepare for your arrival and ensure your plan meets the Government of Canada regulations to avoid being denied entry. The Trent University Quarantine Plan Registry includes a pledge of compliance and provides space for students to outline their in-depth 14-day quarantine plan. Students must accept their offer before submitting their plan and submit 2 weeks prior to arrival. Find a Quarantine Plan Supplement and Template here. Use this as a guide. All information from your Quarantine Plan will be required for the Trent University Quarantine Plan Registry.
- Print and carry your quarantine plan. Once you submit your plan to the Trent University Quarantine Plan Registry, there will be an option to download your plan as a PDF.
- Print and carry any supporting documentation: passport, valid study permit/supporting documentation, hotel reservation, Housing Agreement, shuttle reservation, Letter of Enrolment or Letter of Acceptance, receipt of fee payment, ArriveCan receipt, COVID-19 test result, etc.
- Print and carry Safe Arrival Supporting Letter from Trent University - sent to your Trent Email. The email was titled "Important Immigration Information". This email is sent to our newly registered students once per week. If you do not have this email, first check Trent spam folder, and then contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit your approved plan on the ArriveCAN app 48 hours prior to departure to Canada for the Government of Canada.
- Have your ArriveCAN receipt and negative COVID-19 test result ready for flight and entry.
NOTE: You will be required to complete a COVID-19 test once your 14-day quarantine period is complete. Please consult the Trent Safe Arrival Protocol for more information.