expand search

Current Students

Two men standing at a counter in the library with globes behind them


Working On-campus

International students registered for full-time study at Trent University are permitted to work on campus without a work permit. "On-campus" is defined as employment in facilities owned, leased or rented by Trent University. In the past, international students at Trent University have found jobs at the library, colleges (such as summer maintenance), athletic complex, alumni office, development office, TI office, food catering company, The Arthur (school newspaper), liaison office (campus tours) and research assistant positions with faculty.

Students must possess a valid study permit to work on campus in Canada, and if they have not undergone a medical examination, students may be subject to specific terms and conditions.

Please visit the Trent Job Board for information on current job opportunities.

Working Off-campus

As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to work up to 20 hours per week:

during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

To qualify, you must:

  • have a valid study permit,
  • be a full-time student,
  • be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level, and
  • be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.

- Quoted from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

Post Graduate Work Permit

The Post Grad Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. 

See Canada Citizenship and Immigration website for further information.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. To obtain your SIN, please visit a Service Canada Center with your proof-of-identity documents.

Income Tax Resources

Are you an international student studying in Canada?

You can find out about Canada's income tax system at Canada Revenue Agency


Tax Preparation Businesses - Peterborough, ON

There are a number of businesses in Peterborough that provide tax preparation services. 

You will want to have a business with experience in filing income tax for international students.

You can find tax preparation business contacts at:



Volunteer Tax Preparation Clinics - Peterborough, ON

There are a group of volunteers that will assist with low income tax preparations.

You can view the listing of upcoming clinics available at:



Glossary of tax terms:

T4 - report of income earned

T4a - report of scholarship/awards received

T2202a - report of tuition paid

SIN - Social Insurance number used to identify your tax record

ITN - Individual tax number:  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1261/README.html