expand search

Current Students

A large group of international students sitting around a campfire in front of Gzowski College at night


Student Advising in the Trent International office is available to assist all international students including ESL, Undergraduate, Graduate and Exchange students. We support you with issues such as academics concerns, housing needs, financial difficulties, health insurance, cultural adaptation, and challenges that may arise concerning relations within the Trent and Peterborough communities.

Additionally, we welcome you to come into the TI office to visit, meet other students, get involved, or simply talk about what's going on in your life!

Jump to...

Booking an Appointment

Drop-In Advising is available Monday-Friday from 1pm-4pm and appointments are open to anyone on a first-come, first-serve basis and are approximately 15 minutes long, at which time a follow-up appointment can be made.

Appointments booked in advanced are available Monday-Friday from 9am-12noon and can be booked using the instructions below.

You can book an appointment with the International Student Advisor following these steps:

  1. Go to: www.trentu.ca/sep
  2. Log in using your myTrent username and password
  3. Select Peterborough Campus Appointment Bookings on the left hand bar
  4. Select Trent International
  5. Choose: Book by Appointment Type
  6. Choose: International Student Advising - PTBO
  7. ​Select an appointment block and fill in the required information

Alternatively, email international@trentu.ca or phone 705-748-1314 to book an appointment. If you have an urgent concern, please call or visit the TI office immediately for assistance.

*If you are a Trent-Durham student, please contact the office by email to book an appointment.

Academic Support

Academic culture can vary greatly between countries and the way things are done at Trent might be every different from what you are used to. Many students need time to adjust to new rules and expectations. If you are having trouble with your academics, Trent has a variety of services and supports available to you including the Academic Skills Centre, Student Accessibility Services, College Academic Advisors, Peer Mentoring, the Library and your Academic Departments, among others.

Sometimes it can be difficult expressing your concerns, knowing who to talk to, or how to access the resources available to you.  This is where we come in!  If you are having difficulties registering, have concerns with your courses, are experiencing a difficulty, or simply want to talk about an academic challenge or interest please come in to see us and we can help you understand your options and access resources.

Other helpful contacts on campus:

  • Academic Skills Instructors can help you with time management, essay writing/topics, study skills, presentation preparation, Math skills/support  etc. 
  • Academic Advisors are located in each college office to help you plan your degree, understand the academic system and process Petitions and Appeals. 


As an International Undergraduate student attending Trent University on a Study Permit you are expected to maintain full-time status. This is important and has consequences on your health insurance, work eligibility, scholarships, tuition and eligibility for other immigration programs.  Full-time undergraduate status is defined as a minimum of 3.5 credits per academic year. In certain circumstances, you might be eligible for part-time status. If you are unsure, please contact international@trentu.ca. You must apply for Institutional Support of Part-time status based on your situation. To do this, go to MyTrent>Academics>International>Part-Time Application. Your application will be processed through the TI Office and you will be notified by email of the outcome.

Transitional Advising

The international student advisor at Trent International can help you adjust to the many new experiences and challenges that you will face as an international student in Canada. Impacting your cultural adjustment, are other transitions with academics, independence, and social interactions that you will be experiencing as a student.  Everyone will be facing their own personal, professional and cultural challenges and the TI office is available to support you through these transitions.  Be it through a one-on-one appointment with an advisor, a drop in appointment, a casual meeting during Monday Tea Time, or participation in a group activity or celebration there are many ways to engage with the TI office.  We are available to talk about your experiences and concerns, provide you with resources, and help you connect with members of the Peterborough and Trent communities. Our office can help you:

  • Transition to life in Canada: we can give you an overview of what to expect at Trent and in Canada. Common topics are: adjusting to weather and the climate, learning the new teaching format, meeting friends, dealing with homesickness, navigating a new system, and more.
  • Get involved: we offer opportunities to meet other students as well as explore the area. Further, we can connect you with clubs and groups on campus and in the community.
  • Set goals: we can help you set goals for your time in Canada and give you the resources to achieve them.
  • Connect with help on campus: you can come to us if you are unsure of who to ask for help and we will work with you to connect you to the resources available to you on campus.

If you are experiencing personal issues that you would like to discuss with a professional, we also encourage you to contact the Trent Counselling Centre, a free and confidential service available to all International Students.  

Emergency Support

If you find yourself in an unanticipated situation that requires financial, emotional or logistical support, please come into the TI office as soon as possible so that we can help you. Should you need to return home urgently, or have lost your passport, or feel unsafe in your home, we are able to support you with emergency loans, academic petitions, and help planning your next steps. Please don't hesitate to contact us.

Wellness Support

What To Do If You Get Sick

  • Telehealth Ontario  has a registered nurse who assesses your symptoms and will advise you whether or not your condition is serious enough to warrant a trip to the hospital or if your condition can wait a few days for treatment at a walk-in clinic.
  • First Response (phone 748-1333) is intended to aid students on campus in case of medical emergency. Call First Response, they will arrive in less than 5 minutes 24 hours a day. They will help you until further medical services arrive.
  • Trent Health-Care Services is on Symons Campus, Blackburn Hall (BH111), 748-1481
  • Peterborough Regional Hospital  provides emergency health care and clinic care for those that need care after office hours. The hospital operates on an emergency first basis. This results in long wait times because the patient that is most urgent is treated prior to those with less urgent matters. 
  • Medical emergencies that are life threatening require immediate medical attention.  Dial 911

Other helpful contacts on campus:

  • Trent Student Health Services: Trent Student Health Services is a team of caring, dedicated, multi-disciplinary professionals with expertise in university health issues.Student Health Services is an appointment based medical clinic for all registered part-time and full-time students at Trent's Symons Campus.
  • Trent Counselling Services: Counselling Services provides confidential, free support to all students registered at Trent University. The services are by appointments and are provided by qualified clinical counsellors.