Trent Forward Update
With the news on June 8, 2020 that Ontario is moving to the next stage of reopening, this update will provide more information about Trent’s approach and plan to support the fall term and phased return to campus.
- Ontario has announced a regional approach to Stage 2 of reopening the province. Peterborough region will be permitted to move to Phase 2 on Friday, June 12, while a date for Durham Region, as part of the Greater Toronto Area, is yet to be announced.
- Ontario University Athletics (OUA) has announced the cancellation of all OUA-sanctioned sport programming and championships up to December 31, 2020. Read the full announcement. More details will be shared when available, and the University is closely watching the reopening of gyms in other provinces. Trent is working with the Rowing Club and the Alumni Association on the impact of this decision for the 2020 Head of the Trent/ Homecoming.
Trent Forward: Phase 1 Developments
- Phased Return of Research: By next week, the University expects upwards of 50 faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and student researchers to be resuming critical research operations in about 22 labs. All people accessing campus will complete mandatory online education module developed by a working group that includes a virologist, epidemiologist, nurses, health and safety experts, and a member of Peterborough Public Health. . Signage to support physical distancing and promote effective hand and respiratory hygiene will be installed in all buildings as activity resumes.
- Masks and Supplies: Following current advice from public health authorities to wear a non-medical mask when physical distancing cannot be maintained, the University will provide complimentary cloth masks to all staff, faculty and students, prioritizing those who will be returning to campus first.
- Return-to-campus plans: Following the Trent Forward phased plan, it is expected that expect limited staff will be on campus over the summer. Advance planning will ensure sufficient resources are available to modify workspaces and accommodate new ways of operating to reduce potential for transmission of COVID-19.
Preparing for Phase 2
- Campus Tours: Campus tours will resume as a vital way to attract students for the fall term, with new protocols to meet public health guidelines.
- Nursing Labs: Planning continues for some nursing labs to begin in July, with the same requirements as noted above for researchers.
- Course Listing: Creation of an academic course listing is underway, indicating which classes will be offered in the fall, and whether they will be online courses (designed for online delivery), remote delivery courses (those courses pivoting to remote at this time) or contain optional or mandatory in-person components. Full timetables and registration will be open to students by mid-July.
- Common Spaces: The opening of common spaces, to support students participating in summer online classes, is being planned, with a focus on larger spaces to allow sufficient space for physical distancing. As the Durham campus continues to undergo construction, access to spaces there will be more limited.
Stay up-to-date on the latest Trent Forward planning and news by visiting trentu.ca/covid19.
Posted on June 11, 2020