- Access the On-line Catalog
- Search the Video Catalog
- Work with Videos
Accessing the On-line Catalog
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to the on-line photography database. Include the following information fields in your request:
Subject Line: Your Name - Your Title - Video Database Access
Brief Description of the Project
Estimated quantity of photos
Time frame for request
You will receive a reply email with a hyperlink to the catalog and a sign-in password from the Trent University Marketing & Communications department.
Click on the hyperlink or copy and paste the URL into the search bar in your web-browser, hit enter.
A small Sign In pop-up window will appear, type the password into the password field, hit OK.
- Click on the Logout button in the menu bar, hit enter.
By default all video thumbnails are sorted by Date Taken from newest to oldest (metadata field name: EXIF DATE TAKEN). You can reorganize the sort from oldest to newest:
- In the menu bar click on the downward arrow in the EXIF - Date Taken field, the thumbnails will reorganize themselves.
Search for a Video
The QuickFind search function provides flexibility to complete a fast search of the entire catalog using only one search term.
- Start typing a simple search term into the QuickFind field.
- An auto-complete dropdown menu will appear. Select and then press return on one of the auto-complete suggestions. (NOTE: the search function is not case sensitive)
- The thumbnails in the display window will reorganize themselves based on the simple search term, in chronological order (by capture date), from newest to oldest.
Advanced search allows the narrowing of a search when multiple search criterion are known.
- Click on the eyeglass button with the + icon, next to the QuickFind field.
- A pop-up menu will appear. Click in an empty field to determine if it has a per-defined menu of search terms to select from. If it does, simply click on a search term, or type your own search term, hit ENTER. Search by one or more of the following fields:
- Extension (file type)
- Date Taken (on or after)
- Source (External, M&C, Stock, Staff/Faculty)
- Creator (Photographer’s name)
- Location (Geographical Location)
- Once you have completed one or more of the search fields, hit SEARCH, the thumbnails will rearrange themselves into chronological order from newest to oldest.
Working with Videos
Thumbnails assist in quickly skimming the catalog, but when it comes time to decide whether or not download a video it’s a good idea to preview it.
- Double-click a thumbnail. A pop-up window will appear on the landing screen.
(1 Video Preview, 2 Download Video, 3 Add Photo to Selection List, 4 Filename, 5 Special Instruction Notes, 6 File Size, 7 Keywords, 8 Previous/Next video buttons, 8 Jump to Next Video button, Jump to Previous Video button)
- Click on the Play Preview icon and the video will play. Control the volume and preview size using the buttons in the lower-right of the video thumbnail.
- Click on the grayed out background at any time to return to the main screen
- Select a video by clicking on the check mark icon below the thumbnail, it will turn green.
- In the menu bar the Selected button displays the number of videos selected. Continue to check mark all of the videos that you would like to download, then click once on the Selected button.
- A pop-up window will appear displaying a complete list of all the selected videos. Click on the Download All button. (NOTE: If the Download All button is grayed out, simply select and copy the text list in the pop-up window and email your video request to email@example.com)
- A pop-up window will appear. Select Original from the drop-down menu to download the highest resolution video available, click Download.