An important tradition of Trent’s collegiate communities is celebrating the academic, community and social success of their students at the end of the year.
This year, Trent’s colleges took a different approach to celebrating student success, opting for online and virtual celebrations.
Champlain, Otonabee, Traill and Gzowski Colleges opted to hold virtual award ceremonies alongside their graduation receptions, while Lady Eaton College gave their award winners a moment in the spotlight on their Instagram account.
“Completing an undergraduate degree is an important life achievement and it is important to take time out of our busy lives to celebrate our successes,” shared Tina Fridgen, principal of Champlain College. “We have many students who go above and beyond, dedicating their time to academics and to enhancing the communities we live in. We are very proud of our Champlain College award winners for all they do inside and outside of the classroom.”
Traill College hosted its first virtual May Ball and Graduation Ceremony, inspired by principal, Dr. Michael Eamon’s time studying at the University of Cambridge. The College boasts a unique mix of undergraduates, mature undergraduates, and graduate students and its end-of-year celebration offered something for everyone.
“The May Ball is part garden party, part fancy dress ball and the traditional way that Cambridge colleges end their academic year,” explained Dr. Eamon. “As the pandemic delayed several of our normal year-end events, and May happens to be one of the most beautiful months at Traill, I thought that the May Ball offered the perfect collegiate format for a new outdoor celebration of all things Traill.”
For Nicole Leach of Gzowski College, winning the Alumni Recognition Award means everything to them.
“Winning this award recognizes the hard work I have put in over the last three years as a Gzowski College ambassador and also enhances the “home away from home” feeling that Gzowski gave me,” explained Nicole, who is graduating this year from Chemistry and Mathematics. “My experience as a member of Peter Gzowski College was amazing.”
Congratulations to all of the award winners!
Learn more about Trent’s collegiate communities.
- Champlain College Masters’ Prize: Pui Ling Roshelle Chan (BES. ERSS)
- Champlain College Fellows’ Prize: Jake Lyne (BS. BICE)
- Champlain College Principals’ Prize: Karla Salgado Navarrete, Edward Mathers, Ester Wilson
- Alumni College Recognition Award: Kaileigh Chretien
- Truslow Award: Carter Tongs
- Bryan and Cheryl Davies Award: Jinal Somani
- Noranne Flower Award: Michal Ziemnicki
- Coffee Cup Award: Kaileigh and Bobby
- Dr. Michael Allcott Award: Aishat Balogun and Miranda Zahra
- Marian O’Brien Award: Jinal Somani and Skyler Kropper
- Peer Mentor Award: Genna Saunders and Katlyn Muckle
- David Glassco Award: Robert (Bobby) Robinson
- John Rymes Book Award: Joann Maria Joseph
- Graham Sheldon Award: Ahmed Ahmed (WUSC)
- Spectrum Awards: Aishat Balogun, Bryan Hughs, Bei Bei Lu, Jinal Somani, Julia Mason, Katlyn Muckle, Kennedy Close, Shenel Boyce, Soleyma Gohr, Thomas Mooney
- Gzowski College Certificates: Valeria Curiel Campos, Lindsay Warne, Keira Parr, Shacia Albertine, Jessica Kuhn, Angela Tao, Isabel Michaelson
- Peter Robinson College Student’s Prize: Angeni Lovelady, Prakhar Kapoor
- Alumni Recognition Award: Nicole Leach, Owen Sutton
- Ellen Bentzen Community Leadership Prize: Chris Mills, Shacia Albertine
- Gzowski College Enwayaang Prize: Morgan Johns
- Robert Lightbody Prize: Kiera Parr, Tia Bankosky
- Peter Gzowski Residence Life Award: Sterling Renzoni
- Paterson Eberhardt Award for Excellence in Teamwork: Nick Koehler-Grassau, Lindsay Warne
- Enwayaang TUNA Prize: Erika Cameron
- Gzowski College Community Builder Awards: Ashley Callery, Natnaiel Dubale, Lauryn Sequin,
- Peter Gzowski College Graduation Award: Alexis Dogget, Griffin Sawchuk, Jesse Fraser
- Peter Gzowski College Part-Time Student: Carly Waines
- Peter Gzowski College Cabinet Award: Gina Standaert, Lauryn Sequin, Gina Standaert, Max Setka
- Fellows’ Prize – Arts & Social Sciences: Bethany McCallum
- Fellows’ Prize – Science Award: Jennifer Ego
- Marjory Seeley Prize: Alicia Yon, Abhishek Nigam, Myanna Hansen
- Arndt Krüger Prize: Claudio Lecaro
- Academic Leadership Prize: Sara Beech
- Otonabee College 10th Year Prize: Anushga Muralitharan
- Ivana Elbl Prize: Mansimran Saini
- Otonabee College Bob Annett Prize: Mansimran Saini
- Otonabee College Spirit Awards: Shayan Faisal, Ryan Palaro, Amy Underhill
- Scott Rennie Otonabee College Spirit Medal: Tony Bui
- Otonabee College Excellence Prize: Nicholas Owen
- Otonabee College Sociology Prize: Megan Woodley
- Eileen Gallagher Otonabee College Spirit Medal: Madison Assiginack
- The Gordon Johnston Prize for Artistic Excellence: Grace Gardner
- College Principals Prize: Olivia Paleczny, Neha Rampertab, Rabbiha Alagbabi
- Dr. Marion Fry Scholarship for top performing Humanities student in their second year (new): Maya Raval
- Traill College Principals’ Prize: Lindsey Bath
- Traill College Fellows’ Prize: Katelyn Oickle
- Traill College Post-Graduate Prize: Isabel Driver