Look for Work
Click on the headings for more information
Effective Work Search
- Target your search
- Contact employers
- Follow up
- Consider the employer and job offer
- Entrepreneurship and job opportunities
Videos to help you develop your strategies for looking for work.
Job Search Skills (by Complete Student – an open source module for Canadian university students)
This in-depth module will help you articulate skills employers are looking for; understand the diversity of occupations and how to research them; apply tools, databases, and search engines to identify career opportunities; understand the “hidden job market”.
The Résumé / CV
A résumé should be concise, persuasive, and extremely well-written. There is no "best" résumé format.Use what works best for your situation and the position you are applying to.
In Canada, the main difference between a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a résumé is that a CV is usually only used for academic positions or when applying to some professional and graduate programs. As well, international employers may use the term CV and résumé interchangeably. If you are applying for international jobs, research expectations for CVs and résumés for specific countries. A résumé is used for seeking employment in most other fields.
Check out our Tip Sheets on résumés and CVs. You'll find résumé samples at the bottom of the list of tip sheets.
The Cover Letter
Check out our Tip Sheet on cover letters.
The most important thing you can do before an interview is prepare.
- researching the company and reviewing the job posting
- thinking about your skills, experiences, and knowledge and how they relate to the position; think about examples of when you have demonstrated these and how you can use the examples to answer questions
This will help you to anticipate some of the possible interview questions and be ready with relevant examples and demonstrations of your skills. Being prepared will also help to deal with nervousness.
- Types of interviews
- Phases of the interview (with sample questions)
- Tips for before, during, and after the interview
Check out our Tip Sheet on interviews.